Join for free
Page 548 of 1676 « First < 48 448 498 538 546 547 548 549 550 558 598 648 1048 1548 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 09:42 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Not a lot of the younger folks over here know that up until the 1960’s all the pubs in Ireland were closed on St. Patricks Day Irishmen and women were living it up all over the world except in their own Country, all the shops and off license premised were closed, unless, like me, you got a few jars in the day before you’d be as dry as a kangaroo’s jockstrap all day long.
Eventually as time went on the church lost their iron grip and the powers that be saw how stupid some of the old laws made the nation look, tourists were flocking in for the big parade and when it was over they had nowhere to go for a pint or whatever they fancied to drink, of course there was always the hotels if you were booked in, but they are not as much fun as the pubs are.
Tomorrow the wife and me are heading off to an old pub near the Park for dinner followed by music and craic, my son and his missus will be there along with my daughter and her hubby. I believe we are to have light snow showers, that’s a change from the rain we always get on Paddy’s day.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:06 PM

I used this old pub regularly back in the 1970’s. Back in the 1770’s it was a haunt of Michael Collier, Ireland’s Dick Turpin.
'They said Collier is about 5 foot 11 inches tall, swarthy complexion, black hair, black eyes, is an active, well made and good looking fellow of about twenty 27 years”.
'I will pay the sum of £50 to any person, within 6 months of this notice, who shall apprehend and lodge in any of his majesty's gaols in the United Kingdom, Michael Collier, a notorious offender, who has committed various robberies in the counties of Dublin and Meath and county of the town of Drogheda. Signed Ralph Smyth, Mayor”
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:19 PM

... and did anyone claim their £50 prize.

Our John Palmer, aka Dick Turpin, was hanged for ... horse stealing.
A much more heinous crime than robbery with violence, and murder.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->

I used this old pub regularly back in the 1970’s. Back in the 1770’s it was a haunt of Michael Collier, Ireland’s Dick Turpin.
'They said Collier is about 5 foot 11 inches tall, swarthy complexion, black hair, black eyes, is an active, well made and good looking fellow of about twenty 27 years”.
'I will pay the sum of £50 to any person, within 6 months of this notice, who shall apprehend and lodge in any of his majesty's gaols in the United Kingdom, Michael Collier, a notorious offender, who has committed various robberies in the counties of Dublin and Meath and county of the town of Drogheda. Signed Ralph Smyth, Mayor”
is he still aluve den??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
... and did anyone claim their £50 prize.

Our John Palmer, aka Dick Turpin, was hanged for ... horse stealing.
A much more heinous crime than robbery with violence, and murder.
on or off the horse??
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 12:05 AM

Hello Gummy Bear, I am capturing you.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

17-03-2018, 12:11 AM

I'll offer Ned Kelly and up ya one??

and how about the Highway men of Hounslow?

http://www.stand-and-deliver.org.uk/hounslow_heath.htm

Our young Ned Kelly - I don't think Mick Jagger did a very good job with his girlie voice!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 04:51 AM

Yebbut,YOOZ lot can't produce a 'Swift Nick' Nevison,can yerz. HA!

His name was actually John not Nick-and it was he who rode from London to York,having commited a robbery in Gads Hill...a feat later attributed to some 'Johnny-come-lately' upstart known as Turpin.
That ride,accomplished within one day,saven Nevison from the gallows,as,although he was arrested for the crime,he was able to produce the Lord Mayor,with whom he had laid a wager on the outcome of a bowls match. Naturally,the Lord Mayor recalled both the time and the date...and it was decided nobody could ride that far,that quickly-thus,Nevison was exonerated,as opposed to executed. It's said that the robbery he committed was at 4am and that the wager was made at 8pm. This is,I dare say,of zero interest to most...but I just happen to have here on this desk,a book I was glancing through. It lists various villains,both real and mythical-and Nevison is a name that occurs more than once. Oh,btw-'Black Bess' didn't exist either. Ok,gummybear - service returned. Your turn to swing the bat,old boy.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

17-03-2018, 06:48 AM

you obviously haven't mixed with any ozzie stand over men?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...328-35nu8.html

1.He knew where many bodies were buried, put a few there himself

2. Pat Shannon, the popular secretary of the union, was gunned down in the bar of the Druids Hotel in South Melbourne on October 17, 1973.

3. Longley was to serve 13 years for the murder

4. Longley was no stranger to courts. He was charged with the murder of his first wife, Patricia, in 1961 and found guilty of manslaughter.

5. In the mid-1960s, five dockies were shot in one night at the Rose and Crown Hotel in Port Melbourne.
Police said Billy was responsible for three of them, meaning that the other two declined to complain about their bullet wounds.

6. Longley was acquitted of the Rose and Crown shootings, which was remarkable considering his ability as a sharpshooter, honed by shooting at bottles floating past while he was fishing on the Murray River.

7. Longley told the Commission that after 1958, between 30 and 40 painters and dockers had been murdered as part of a union civil war.
In business, meanwhile, at an age when many people were trying to live on a pension, Longley teamed up with another colourful Melbourne identity, former experienced detective, Brian 'The Skull' Murphy.
They formed a trouble-shooting mediation team with the catchy motto "everything can be negotiated".

I give you Billy "the texan' Longley - and up another one!

no image - no game!

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Hello Possums
I just came to wish Jem Happy St Patrick's Day.
I hope you have a very enjoyable evening with your family Jem.
I loved the explanation about the other countries.

As for the rest of you scribblers, enjoy your day.

Page 548 of 1676 « First < 48 448 498 538 546 547 548 549 550 558 598 648 1048 1548 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top