Join for free
Page 10 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 04:58 AM

Re: The Polish and Others are leaving.

Originally Posted by fender ->
What? - Like you?, who spends half his working day on OFF rather than doing the job you're being paid to do?

Might be an idea to kick you out and replace you with a foreigner eh? They'll probably get all the work done, and at half the price.....
Ever heard of shift work?
I would so miss your little pearls of wisdom.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'll stick my neck out here as I have no direct experience of working as a bin man, but I'm not so sure it's such a horrible job.

Unlike the bin men of my youth, modern bin men don't have to lift a single bin. As the bins must be left at the road side, they have only to wheel them a yard or two to the bin lorry, which then hydraulically picks them up, tips them over, gives them a shake and puts them back down again. They don't even have to lift the lid.

Not such a hard job, I think.

Again, I don't know for sure, but as our bin men rush about like a blue-a***d fly, I'd hazard a guess that if they complete their round early they are probably allowed to knock off early too.
When I think of the poor dustmen of my childhood carrying heavy metal bins to their carts often full of ash and returning them not just to the house but up the path to where they came from , what a wretched dirty hard job it was .
Today they only have to wheel it four feet and a machine lifts it into the lorry and then they replace it at the end of the road . They do go fast and one probaby has to be fit but it's no longer ill paid and some have othe second jobs I understand.
However it's honest work and I for one don't see why anyone should look down on people don't s very necessary job.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Exactly, but how many kids want to be a bin man. There are quite a few livestock factories but it's really horrible work. It's not what you dream of for your life.

For some reason I'm now thinking if Tess of the D'urbivilles at Flintcomb-Ash farm...
Work isn't something you do for pleasure, it is something you have to do to put food in your mouth and a roof over your head...like we all had to do
I am afraid that the attitude of " Lets make sure our kids get what they want in life, is what makes them become spoiled brats who think the world owes them a living.
There were bin men and people working in livestock factories when we were young, but in those days you had to be clever to get into university. Many kids who go there now, wouldn't have got over the university doorstep in our day.
Isn't it time we stopped selling dreams to our children and made them realize that you get nothing if you are not prepared to work hard?
When I was young and worked in banking, I frequently worked 60 hour weeks... because you couldn't go home till all the work was balanced & completed. I went in as an office junior, but my parents taught me that hard work was the only way to get on in life. Fifteen years later I progressed to head of North West investments advice! Perhaps we should stop molly coddling our children, and teach them what my parents taught me.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 06:39 AM

Hi Twink I worked for a year in banking -worst year of my life unfortunately I hated it! I remember having to balance up at the end of the day and you are right everyone had to stay until it did .
In those days when computors s were basic in the extreme this could take a long time!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 07:50 AM

Hi

Absolutely nothing wrong with working for a living.

To my mind we should value those who have not been blessed with intelligence, but still have the ability and determination to get out there and work for a living.

I would happily pay them more, they are the people who make the world go round.

I started off cleaning sewers, you earned your money doing that.

Worth far more to Society than any Estate Agent.

My family could not afford me to go to Uni, they needed the money, so went to Polytechnic, earned my money working, on the Sewer Gang and boning out at the Slaughterhouse.

Qualified and went to Uni as a Post Grad.paid for it all myself, bloody hard work but got there.

Nobody owes you a living, up to you to earn it
Absolutely no disrespect to Tpin,Fender,Gasman, Old Grey Fox, Barry and and others.

Far more valuable than me.

I can work out in my head what needs to be done, a very limited ability, absolutely naff all benefit to Society until it can be done.

We rely on those who can, we should value them more.
wrinkles
New Member!
Gloucestershire
wrinkles is male 

23-05-2017, 08:03 AM

"""We rely on those who can, we should value """

Yes its strange that those that are of the least value to society in general always seem to get significantly higher rewards
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by wrinkles ->

Yes its strange that those that are of the least value to society in general always seem to get significantly higher rewards
Very true!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by wrinkles ->

Hedge Fund managers come to mind.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
However it's honest work and I for one don't see why anyone should look down on people don't s very necessary job.
I agree. I can't understand why some people look down their noses at dustbin men, and several other similar jobs for that matter.

Anyone who does a good job that benefits the people of this country deserves our thanks and respect.

I can think of several very highly paid people who I will not thank and certainly don't respect.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Hedge Fund managers come to mind.

Hi

I am in total agreement with you on this one Muddy.

We should have let them sink.

Unfortunately Blair and Brown bailed them out.

Borrowed a £158 Billion in 2009 to do so, the biggest transfer of public funds to the Private Sector ever.

My son is no idiot, part of the system at that time.

He is of the opinion that we saved less than 200 people, the incredibly rich, at a massive cost to the UK economy.

Blair and Brown choose not to.

We are still paying the price for this.

Page 10 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top