Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:17 AM

Re: Scots impose ban on fracking

Originally Posted by summer ->
Most Yorkshire folk dislike Scargill and his cronies.

As far as fracking in Scotland is concerned I read that they have very few possible fracking sites anyway so banning fracking isn't really that big an issue. I suppose it makes them look good though
Too many mountains Summer.....It's just Nicola paying it lip service to obtain votes....She's like a puppet with Alex Salmonds hand up her backside....

PS:- The previous labour government closed more pits than Scargill or Maggie ever did according to my deceased FiL...Who was an overman with the NCB.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Tell that to the former inhabitants of Chernobyl, three mile Island and Northern Japan.
I used to be anti-nuclear but have changed my mind.

We have up to 58 nuclear plants just over the channel, some are closing but the number will still be substantial. We don't have an unstable seismic situation. Chernobyl was over 30 years ago and there are 450 reactors in the World.

Accidents can be avoided if 1. the system is designed well and 2. a watertight (human) process is in place and you don't have Homer in charge.

Most importantly if France has an accident we would be the first to know. We import electricity from them if we need to and the supply of imported power is quite important to us. EDF operates the French plants but also operates our 8 active plants.

What we should be doing is concentrating on not using as much power and focusing on more efficient devices and better insulation. I'm not sure how much of the power efficiency standards are being driven by the EU or what will happen when we leave. But in order to sell to the EU we will have to retain standards.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Apparently:

http://frack-off.org.uk/region/scotland/

Scotland is threatened by all three fracking technologies: Shale Gas/Oil, Coal Bed Methane (CBM) and Underground Coal Gasification (UCG). Exploration licences cover a relatively small area of land at present, but roughly a third of Scotland is being offered to fracking companies as part of the 14th onshore licensing round.
I didn't know that.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Bullsh*t!!! - It was McGregor and that evil witch Thatcher(phth, phth, phth) who was responsible for the closure of the coal industry, notwithstanding we're sitting on more than 500 years of coal beneath our feet.
They made them more competitive,Teflon Tone listened to the environmentalists closed them and had the country blighted with solar panels and wind thing's,now we have the Chinese and French building a nuclear plant up the road from here,you couldn't make it up.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Bullsh*t!!! - It was McGregor and that evil witch Thatcher(phth, phth, phth) who was responsible for the closure of the coal industry, notwithstanding we're sitting on more than 500 years of coal beneath our feet.
More than twice as many coal mines were closed under Harold Wilson than under Margaret Thatcher.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Pi$$ed explanations are usually the most creative and well thought through!

Anyway, the Quakers are protesting en-masse against it so shall we ask Miss Julie?
There are idiots on all walks of life Annie, I'm not against fracking at all, I want to use my dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. I'm for any means of doing that nuclear, fracking, alternative methods, anything that allows us to live we do now.

I was brought up in a home with gas lighting and no electric first five years of my life I don't remember that with any fondness at all.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 01:50 PM

I've just heard a rumour that T May has given permission for fracking to start in Yorkshire any day now....just outside of OGFs back garden as a matter of fact....but don't worry Kiddo,just make sure You have a good pair of earmuffs,and if the water coming out of Your taps is brown,it's ok,You can still drink it..honest....As for who has Their hand up the delectable Theresas' arse...well that's anybodys guess...but They aint doin' a very good job of it,are They?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Probably because countries like Australia could mine coal, transport it 100s of kilometres to the coast, ship it 12000km to northern Europe and then sell it to you at half the price it cost you just to dig it up.
I believe that we buy our coal from Poland.

For some reason, that particular EU country doesn't seem to be as worried about the planet as are our eco-warriors!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I used to be anti-nuclear but have changed my mind.

We have up to 58 nuclear plants just over the channel, some are closing but the number will still be substantial. We don't have an unstable seismic situation. Chernobyl was over 30 years ago and there are 450 reactors in the World.

Accidents can be avoided if 1. the system is designed well and 2. a watertight (human) process is in place and you don't have Homer in charge.

Most importantly if France has an accident we would be the first to know. We import electricity from them if we need to and the supply of imported power is quite important to us. EDF operates the French plants but also operates our 8 active plants.

What we should be doing is concentrating on not using as much power and focusing on more efficient devices and better insulation. I'm not sure how much of the power efficiency standards are being driven by the EU or what will happen when we leave. But in order to sell to the EU we will have to retain standards.
We should have done what France did years ago: build many more nuclear power stations.

But no, our eco-warriors insisted it would be too dangerous and so our wimpish governments (all of them) complied.

And look where we are now. No coal power and little nuclear power, all thanks to those people.

Of course, they are quit happy because we now have hundreds of windmills that can provide a very small proportion of our power needs.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We now have hundreds of windmills that can provide a very small proportion of our power needs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_p...United_Kingdom

The United Kingdom is one of the best locations for wind power in the world, and is considered to be the best in Europe. Wind power contributed 11% of UK electricity generation in 2015, and 17% in December 2015. Allowing for the costs of pollution, particularly the carbon emissions of other forms of production, onshore wind power is the cheapest form of energy in the United Kingdom. In 2016, the UK generated more electricity from wind power than from coal.

Wind power delivers a growing percentage of the energy of the United Kingdom and by the end of August 2017, it consisted of 7,891 wind turbines with a total installed capacity of over 16.3 gigawatts: 10,975 megawatts of onshore capacity and 5,356 megawatts of offshore capacity. This placed the United Kingdom at this time as the world's sixth largest producer of wind power (behind 1. China, 2. USA, 3. Germany, 4. India and 5. Spain), having overtaken France and Italy in 2012. Polling of public opinion consistently shows strong support for wind power in the UK, with nearly three quarters of the population agreeing with its use, even for people living near onshore wind turbines.
Not such a small proportion .....

It's not a dirty, toxic and invasive process like fracking, either .....

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top