Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 06:46 PM

Re: Gunpowder

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Women were burned at the stake for treason rather than being hanged to protect their modesty (of all things). The woman in last night's programme would not have been stripped at her execution for the same reason. The stone put under her back was to make the execution quicker in that it fractures the spine.

Execution in this manner (pressing) is also an attempt to get the victim to confess their crime but doing so would have made them guilty and any land or properties they owned would have been forfeited to the crown and their families evicted.
I was wondering about that stone, so thanks for the heads up, a really enthralling episode, I do enjoy these historical dramas, it a great learning tool
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Women were burned at the stake for treason rather than being hanged to protect their modesty (of all things). The woman in last night's programme would not have been stripped at her execution for the same reason. The stone put under her back was to make the execution quicker in that it fractures the spine.

Execution in this manner (pressing) is also an attempt to get the victim to confess their crime but doing so would have made them guilty and any land or properties they owned would have been forfeited to the crown and their families evicted.
But, according to all historical accounts, the woman I mentioned from York, Margaret Clitherow was subjected to the indignity of being stripped before being subjected to this horrific crushing treatment. This wasn't under the reign of James I but only about 20 years earlier, under the reign of Elizabeth.

"The two sergeants who should have carried out the execution hired four desperate beggars to do it instead. She was stripped and had a handkerchief tied across her face then laid across a sharp rock the size of a man's fist, the door from her own house was put on top of her and loaded with an immense weight of rocks and stones so that the sharp rock would break her back. Her death occurred within fifteen minutes, but her body was left for six hours before the weight was removed."
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 06:53 PM

When and where was this programme on please?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 07:05 PM

BBC1 last night at 9 pm.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 07:05 PM

You can get the whole series on BBC Player
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
But, according to all historical accounts, the woman I mentioned from York, Margaret Clitherow was subjected to the indignity of being stripped before being subjected to this horrific crushing treatment. This wasn't under the reign of James I but only about 20 years earlier, under the reign of Elizabeth.

"The two sergeants who should have carried out the execution hired four desperate beggars to do it instead. She was stripped and had a handkerchief tied across her face then laid across a sharp rock the size of a man's fist, the door from her own house was put on top of her and loaded with an immense weight of rocks and stones so that the sharp rock would break her back. Her death occurred within fifteen minutes, but her body was left for six hours before the weight was removed."
The reports I read said that she was naked except for a linen shift, her hose and shoes being given to a family member the night before her death. I suppose any accounts from so long ago will differ.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
BBC1 last night at 9 pm.

Thank you CeeCee.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 10:37 AM

Executions were a public spectacle, thousands are reported to have attended the more notorious.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

23-10-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Executions were a public spectacle, thousands are reported to have attended the more notorious.
It beats Saturday night tv I suppose.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 12:05 PM

I watched it because many of the places where it all happened, are near to me!
I had to fast forward the torture and gory bits!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top