Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 11:02 PM

Re: Childhood memories

I remember having an open safety pin in my mouth (I know I know) but no health and safety in those days anyway I swallowed it. When I told my mum she took me to the doctors who sent us to the hospital where they xrayed me and there it was. The made me a sandwich with cotton wool in it and made me eat it. They worked on the premise that the cotton wool would wrap round the pin. I dont remember the outcome but it must have "passed through ok" as Im here to tell the tale. Then I got a good hiding for swallowing it. Happy days eh
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by poppycock ->
I remember having an open safety pin in my mouth (I know I know) but no health and safety in those days anyway I swallowed it. When I told my mum she took me to the doctors who sent us to the hospital where they xrayed me and there it was. The made me a sandwich with cotton wool in it and made me eat it. They worked on the premise that the cotton wool would wrap round the pin. I dont remember the outcome but it must have "passed through ok" as Im here to tell the tale. Then I got a good hiding for swallowing it. Happy days eh
Oh darlin' - you were lucky!!! This has triggered a memory of my own. At age 3 my Grandmother cut an orange in half and handed me the half. In attempting to eat it I squeezed the orange and unfortunately managed to inhale a pip. Was taken to hospital and doctors had to fashion a 'special' tool to insert in my nostril and retrieve the pip which was right at the top of my nose and in danger of tipping down into the throat and blocking my breathing.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2011, 01:45 PM

my brother put a dried pea up his nostril and said nothing his nose swelled up then a shoot appeared. The pea had started to shoot due to the dark damp conditions of his nose he was taken to hospital and had it removed. We certainly got our moneys worth out of the NHS at our house.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2011, 02:53 PM

We certainly got our moneys worth out of the NHS at our house.

Me too darlin' - apart from attendance at A&E on numerous occasions for 'minor cuts and bruises', in my youth, have had: emergency strangulated hernia repair, both hips and both knee replacements and am starting again with possible ankle replacements too. I am also asthmatic and have been carted off to A&E several times in the past five years because my 'puffers' were insufficient to stop or control a number of asthmatic crises.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2011, 03:59 PM

I had chronic nosebleeds as a child; my Mom finally dragged me to the doctor and I had my leaky nasal blood vessel cauterized ... very scary for a little kid. Hadn't thought of that in years!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2011, 04:18 PM

I had those nosebleeds too, so many that I had to have them cauterized several times. I can even remember the burning smell! Nothing worked did it? A cold key down your back ..... what other 'cures' did they try on us?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2011, 04:30 PM

The only one I remember is the ice bag ... didn't work. Funny, you never seem to hear about kids with nosebleeds any ,more ...
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

31-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Not a very fragrant one, especially for a Sunday and not heard so much nowadays with plastic buckets.
However, the clanking of old metal pails always reminds me of the good old days when the night soil collectors were doing their rounds.

They were the unsung heroes of the day, or should I say night up and down the back streets with their torches bobbing and weaving and the almost musical sound of the spare buckets swinging from the back of the bulk waste carrier.

Our Khazi like most was in the backyard and had a little trapdoor in the rear to facilitate the exchange of receptacles. A bit awkward if you were sat having a read of the paper and the local gong farmer turned up
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
The only one I remember is the ice bag ... didn't work. Funny, you never seem to hear about kids with nosebleeds any ,more ...
My daughter used to have terrible nosebleeds, she scared them at school a few times!

I have many memories too, I often remember walking to the local shops with my grandad, on one occasion he bought me a little dustpan and brush set, I was so thrilled with it. If someone bought me one now I'd probably batter them with it!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

02-08-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
I had those nosebleeds too, so many that I had to have them cauterized several times. I can even remember the burning smell! Nothing worked did it? A cold key down your back ..... what other 'cures' did they try on us?

Maryl darlin' - remember Iodine and Gentian Violet??? Iodine used to 'sting' like mad if you got injured.

A 'Wright's Coal Tar lamp' too - had that burning for 15 weeks on the window sill beside my bed when I contracted Bronchitis soon after I started school.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top