Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 01:13 AM

Re: Do you turn off ?

Uh oh, Nero, I'm now on the 5th floor of a 6 story building ..... to worry?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 03:02 AM

Nero is absolutely spot on there. There is no reason to switch off electricity just because of a storm in this country.

If there is lightning, it will strike the tallest object in your area, such as a church steeple, but the chances of it striking your home are 1000s to one against.

I know in Canada the electricity can be affected very badly by lightning, because it can "spike" which can lead to a power failure and cause serious problems, and my friend over there hides in her basement as well.

I love thunder and lightning and, on the odd occasion that we get it here, I will stand outside to watch it.

I switch nothing off whatsoever.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Modern surge protectors will do the job in your home . . . however, if lightning stikes directly on your home no amount of protection will stop massive damage . . . in built-up areas like towns, the chances of it earthing through your house are remote, there are other structures providing an easier path to earth like power pylons and tall buildings . . . if, on the other hand, you live in a tower block on the top floor . . .
We've had two powered telephones destroyed by lightening going straight through our partially-glass front door. Both times they went with a bang and destroyed the socket AND blew the fuse!
I've also seen the results of a lightening strike in a computer room - three servers partially melted / fused and 14 PCs connected all blown out through the power supplies. This happened three times in one year at the same office block and they had top-notch anti-surge protection too!! stevmk2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 09:49 AM

I too detest t'storms and won't be outside in one or watch one. Yes I too unplug phones and television if lightning is very close and even unplug the television aerial cable too in case lightning strikes the television aerial on the roof and travels down the cable. As a child I saw people struck and killed by lightning, so I have a VERY healthy respect for storms and stay out of their way as much as possible.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 10:04 AM

I don't mind thunder storms but I was hoofing along the cliff tops one day and caught sight of a flash way out to sea. It turned into quite a storm off shore and was amazing to watch....while I sat on a rock nice and dry lol.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I don't mind thunder storms but I was hoofing along the cliff tops one day and caught sight of a flash way out to sea. It turned into quite a storm off shore and was amazing to watch....while I sat on a rock nice and dry lol.
I was on a yacht in the Med years ago, heading across to Bastia, Corsica from Elba and I was on watch.
I saw a sensational storm in the distance down towards Sardinia and it lit up the sky from horizon to horizon. After ten minutes a small pod of dolphins appeared on the surface - and it seemed to me that they were watching too. It was 2 o'clock in the morning and I could see them as clear as day!!! stevmk2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
We've had two powered telephones destroyed by lightening going straight through our partially-glass front door. Both times they went with a bang and destroyed the socket AND blew the fuse!
I've also seen the results of a lightening strike in a computer room - three servers partially melted / fused and 14 PCs connected all blown out through the power supplies. This happened three times in one year at the same office block and they had top-notch anti-surge protection too!! stevmk2
Martin that's scary

Modern surge protectors will do the job in your home . . . however, if lightning stikes directly on your home no amount of protection will stop massive damage . . . in built-up areas like towns, the chances of it earthing through your house are remote, there are other structures providing an easier path to earth like power pylons and tall buildings . . . if, on the other hand, you live in a tower block on the top floor . . .
I am not in a town I lost a TV and PC a few years ago and another time watched in horror as a large oak tree in the field next to my house took a lightening hit, split in two and went up in flames
My neighbour in a previous house lost two TVs and my brother was knocked unconscious by lightening in his garden so I do have a healthy respect for storms and as a precaution turn off the PC and TV at the mains.

I was discussing this with an electrician who was working in my house and he had been to one house where the lightening had struck and blown out every plug in the house.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 11:03 AM

About 20 years ago, flying home from Australia, we watched a beautiful storm, I think we were near Malaysia at the time. It was to the right of us & just near enough to admire..
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 11:24 AM

I lived in a tower block many years ago. There where fifteen floors and I lived on the fourteenth

I was young, free and single and not much bothered me but when there was a thunderstorm it did make me very nervous.

I don't turn anything off unless the storm is overhead and then everything is turned off.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 12:25 PM

I have just spoken to my sister who has recently had a lightning strike, it came through the telephone cables and blew up her (and her neighbours) new computer and phones, and knocked out the sky dish!

I don't think I will stay on the phone if there is a storm.

We always worry because our house is Victorian and has huge chimneys which used to have a lightning conducter fitted rumour has it that our local scrap metal dealers stole it, along with all the drain covers they could find (houses were empty for 4 years before we bought them).

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top