Join for free
Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Re: Britain should accept immigrants for free trade deal, senior Indian diplomat warns

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Britain owned the Falkland Islands before Argentina was even a Republic .
The move to invade the Falklands was made by a corrupt military junta whose brutal policies were responsible for years of oppression and the murder and disappearance of hundreds of Argentine citizens .
The invasion was to ingnite nationalistic fervour in order to divert the populace from all the above problems and the collapse of the economy.
In the event the war lead to the downfall of the junta and the reestablishment of a democratically elected government in Argentina .
Exactly.

It surprises and saddens me to see how many people hate the UK.

Not only foreigners - Australians in this case - but also many of our own people in this country.

I'm not sure what bad things the UK has done to all of these people. On the contrary, I believe that this country is one of the most civilised and beneficial in the world.

I wonder how such people feel about North Korea, for example.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Re: Britain should accept immigrants for free trade deal, senior Indian diplomat warns

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Exactly.

It surprises and saddens me to see how many people hate the UK.

Not only foreigners - Australians in this case - but also many of our own people in this country.
Who hates the UK? I certainly don't; I grew up there. Though I must admit I am glad I don't live there any more but that is no more hating the place than I hate say Afghanistan (nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there).
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Oh for god's sake...

Argentina GDP = $0.5trillion
Population 44million

UK GDP = $2.6trillion
Population 65million

Get it now?

Small boy takes his marbles back; big bully snatches them back and beats him up.
That's about as twisted and false as a narrative as it is possible to promote.

Maggie, imo, was a horror.

Her biggest mistake was to destroy whole, productive, happy, proud working class communities in her battle with the Unions and then NOT provide any support or re-investment to those people and communities.

Yes, she had to take on the Unions, but she chose the nuclear option.

She made many other mistakes by following potentially good policies, i.e. privatisation and Right To Buy but then taking those policies to the extreme, only seeing the benefits and not mitigating the problems created.

However, with regards to the Falklands....She got that bang on, 100% right.
There was no alternative and we had to go half way around the world to defeat an entrenched, invading military machine and we Kicked Ass.......Argentina can NEVER be forgiven or rewarded for their actions and their false claims on those territories can never be realised.

Bruce has shown himself to be an enemy of The UK and all his future utterings on Brexit or any other subject will now be judged with that in mind.

Of course, unlike the Argentine military junta. that Bruce loved so much, that imprisoned and murdered hundreds of Argentinian dissenters and detractors, we support his right to talk complete and utter bollox!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Maybe you should consider the bully was Argentina, it was them that invaded the tiny Falkland Islands.
Don't disagree with that. Two bullies having a scrap then?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

02-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Sounds like you think we were bullies for fighting poor little Argentina.

Perhaps you aren't aware that they invaded one of our territories.
Yes, both are true, Bully is overstating it a bit but it was always going to be a one sided battle.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

02-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

Bruce has shown himself to be an enemy of The UK and all his future utterings on Brexit or any other subject will now be judged with that in mind.

Of course, unlike the Argentine military junta. that Bruce loved so much, that imprisoned and murdered hundreds of Argentinian dissenters and detractors, we support his right to talk complete and utter bollox!
Calm down dear. You've stopped taking your medicine again haven't you?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 12:30 PM

Bruce admit it you got it wrong .
Perhaps you had better read up on things both historically and geographically before jumping in and talking baldocks .
May I recommend a translation of Ernesto Sabato' s Nunca Mas ( never again)
An account of he dirty war in Argentina .
Argentina is a huge country rich in resources and with the most highly educated population in South America .
It should be a power house of the world , unfortunately years of corrupt governments have impovished and disempowered this potentially wonderful country .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 12:50 PM

We have been scrapping with the Spanish or Argentinians over the Falklands for centuries. It seems to be more a matter of national pride than any real loyalty to the people living there. The place is very quiet and the most excitement (other than RAF jets taking off) is when the penguins go for a stroll on the beach. They are on the United Nations territorial dispute list. Our original claim to them is more than a little shaky, and as they were so tiny and so far away they seemed to be forgotten and then remembered by more than one country involved (including us). But when the original dispute with Argentina came up then it was rather unbalanced with the giant British Empire on the one side and Argentina (a tiny player in comparison) on the other....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Maggie, imo, was a horror.

Her biggest mistake was to destroy whole, productive, happy, proud working class communities in her battle with the Unions and then NOT provide any support or re-investment to those people and communities.

Yes, she had to take on the Unions, but she chose the nuclear option.
I think that's debatable.

Yes, she certainly took on the unions and did so forcefully, but I'd argue that they needed dealing with.

Some of them are at it again: the RMT holding the country to ransom by going on strike and stopping train travel at the times when such things will have the most negative effect on the travelling public.

Of course, they recognise that TM is weak and so they take advantage. They wouldn't dare if Maggie was still in charge. It's usually about more pay for the same work and, in the case of the recent RMT disruptions, the threat of losing guards on trains in the future, although no-one in present employment would lose their job.

The miners' strike was the same. Arthur Scargill flexing his muscles in the safe knowledge that he wouldn't suffer personally. It was necessary that some mines needed to be closed because they were inefficient and it was cheaper to import coal from abroad. Unfortunately, because of Scargill's unreasonable actions, Maggie's reaction was more swingeing than it could have been.

Yes, I agree that she made some mistakes, but then so do we all. However, when the unions were becoming increasingly heavy handed and refusing to listen to reason she was obliged to fight fire with fire. There are always two sides to every story.

I have said this before, but our major drawback as a country is that we are incapable of working together for the common good. Unions always fall out with management; it is their nature.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=realspeed;1282416]next they will want our driving test to match those in india. What are those tests you may ask?
well they are very hard, you must be able to reverse 20 yards and you have passed or not take any test at all and still get a licence to drive

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/59613994.cms[/

Sorry to go off topic for a moment, but realspeed's comment made me smile. It's not as bad as when I was about 17. We made our annual pilgrimage to Southern Ireland to visit our relatives. My twin cousins picked us up at Dun Laoghaire Port in one of their cars. On the way, I happened to say to the twin driving, well done on passing your test, She laughed and then informed me that there was such a huge backlog of drivers waiting to take their test, the Irish government couldn't cope so to wipe the slate clean, they classed everyone who had put in for their Driving Test as a Pass.!!

Unbelievably. she has since informed me that an Irish driver didn't even have to put in for a Driving Test once they had a Provisional license up until 2007!. In fact, she told me that for the last couple of decades, people who failed their test could apply for a 2nd provisional license which allowed them to drive on their own without an accompanying qualified driver!!. Most Irish drivers applied for a Driving Test and then used the confirming letter as proof to get the 2nd Provisional license, all those who failed to turn up for their Driving Test, could still use the letter and get that 2nd Provisional license, hence doing away with the need for a full test and accompanying qualified driver !! Who said the Irish were thick? The Irish government, yes, but not the canny unqualified drivers who saved a ruddy fortune!! It became the norm.

Apparently, around 2006, the Irish government was shocked to learn that as many as 29,000 Irish drivers were driving around with 3rd and 4th Provisional licenses after failing their Driving test several times!!

in 2007, It seems the government then declared that all those drivers who had had provisional licenses for over 20 years had to take a test and not allowed to drive without a qualified driver. It apparently caused an outcry because of the chaos to businesses etc.

Just an interesting point I thought I would mention.

Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top