Join for free
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Act of remembrance.

The Manx Government have asked all islanders to observe 2 minutes silence. This includes pulling over in your motor vehicle and turning off your engine.

Would this happen anywhere else in the British Isles.

Will you observe?

http://www.gov.im/lib/news/cso/actofremembrance.xml
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2010, 09:11 PM

Re: Act of remembrance.

I have not heard that this is happening anywhere else Manxman, but if it were I would not mind pulling over and turning off my car to observe a two minute act of respect.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2010, 10:22 PM

I always observe the 1 or 2 mins silence, wherever or whatever I'm doing. Was driving last year and they gave out on radio a reminder that there was one minute to go to 11am. Found a suitable place to park and got out of car and observed the silence. Don't think its a lot to ask, to show respect and remember those who have given their lives for us, and all the innocent people who have lost their lives during dreadful conflicts.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2010, 09:33 AM

I think in Glasgow it does! I know that in the Central Station most commuters stop for a 2 mins silence.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2010, 10:53 AM

I was working in Holland in 1976 and one day in May, as I was driving out to work from Rotterdam sirens went off and all the traffic stopped. Everyone either got out of bowed their heads and all the engines were turned off. A driver next to me told me to do the same so I did.
They do this every year in Rotterdam as it was the last stand of the Dutch Army. The Germans blocked off all exits from Rotterdam (still easy to do) then sent in the fighter-bombers and rained artillary shells on central Rotterdam when Scharro, the Dutch commander refused to surrender. At least 800 civilians died and 25,000 houses were flattened. That kind of total Rememberance by the Dutch really sticks in your mind. Likewise in Belgium, the biggest graveyard in Europe where everyone obeys the Rememberance. I think it should still be this way here - but it's not. stevmk2
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2010, 11:20 AM

When I was a child a gun would sound in my island home at 11am on Rembrance Sunday, and everything would stop. You would be expected to stop your car if driving as a mark of respect. Of course the remnants of war were ever present during my childhood as the Germans had occupied the island and evidence of their occupation was around for many years after the war was over. Thirteen Germans had occupied our house and as children my sisters and I would play with the stuff they left behind, like helmets etc.

I always observe the silence, even though I was born after the war. I insisted my children did too when they were young.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2010, 11:45 AM

I was on the bus last year, and the driver asked if anyone minded if he pulled over and observed it. No-one objected. The Library puts an announcement out as well and everything stops. And I`ve been in shops while it was observed. This has been going on for some time. I didn`t know it had stopped tbh.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2010, 07:14 PM

I was on my way to a funeral last year and was driving through a village close to where I live, the radio went off, I thought at first it had gone wrong, then realised it was 2 minutes silence. (That was probably radio 1 BTW)

The vicar was standing outside the church all alone by the memorial, very sad no-one turned out, it wasn't on a Sunday as far as I can remember though.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 03:32 PM

I appreciate what you said Moet.
A few years ago, on the 11th, I stood outside the back door of the place where I worked to hold my own rememberence. A couple aged about 50 walked past laughing and joking and said hello. I didn't answer because I was observing the silence and remembering in particular those of my family killed or directly affected by two World Wars. I suppose that they possibly may not have remembered but that, to me, seemed so very sad considering just how many died in the two last World Wars.

We say "We will remember them" but just how many do these days? stevmk2
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 04:58 PM

When I was in that union office I was based in our local town hall. Each year the old boys (who's numbers grew less each year) would walk slowly out to the front car park with their berets and medals on, holding up heavy flags. A handful of workers would stand in the car park with them, the mayor and local chaplain would say a prayer on the balcony and all the traffic would stop and turn off their engines. Opposite there were some shops and from there the local lads would jeer and shout all through it! Inside the town hall there were still hundreds who couldn't be bothered to leave their desks to walk the few yards for five minutes. I made a point of looking at my emails afterwards and sure enough there were always some from people who had sent them during the two minutes silence. It used to enrage me. Not anymore, as long as those of us who want to remember do so, that's all we can do. One of my little grandchildren, she is seven, has been doing this as a subject at school this week so maybe there is hope that generation will care enough to carry on in years to come?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top