Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Do you turn off ?

When a thunder storm is immanent I still switch off my TV and Computer , I guess old habits die hard.

When I was a child my Mother died and I went to live with my Aunt for a while. At the first sign of a thunder storm the electricity was turned off and we all took refuge in the cupboard under the stairs in case a thunderbolt came down the chimney and struck us all dead

I know many appliances have power surge protectors and my son says if everyone turned things off the world would grind to a halt, but I still find myself turning some things off during a thunder storm .
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 06:42 PM

Re: Do you turn off ?

My mother-in-law had a thunderbolt come down the chimney once so she always opened the back door so it could roll out.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 06:49 PM

I have a surge protector on the computer, so leave it on,although it does make me a bit nervous, and I won't use it during the storm, nor the phone either. Although my friends at the telephone company many years ago insisted that lightning striking the wire and coming down to the phone was an old wives tale.

A friend was in the mountains when ball lightning came in the house during a violent storm, it circled the room and then exploded with a bang!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 06:54 PM

You have all the fun Eileen in America those electric storms wow, all we get is very wet rain!.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 06:57 PM

I would gladly send you some of our awful t'storms if you wanted them, Annie, although I sort of hate to wish them on friends! I am very much a wimp during them
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 07:00 PM

I have surge protectors on my lappy, TV, etc but still switch off if thunder is very near.

Meg, two things sent my mother under the stairs, thunder & the drone of German bombers.

If it was thundering, mirrors were covered & knives removed from the table if it was a mealtime & the curtains closed... She really was terrified.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nuttygran ->
If it was thundering, mirrors were covered & knives removed from the table if it was a mealtime & the curtains closed... She really was terrified.
Yes Iris we did that too and no standing near a window which I loved to do to watch the storm over Dovedale way.

On one of the rare occasions I didn't switch off both my sons PC and the TV gave up that was a few years ago now..
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

06-08-2011, 07:37 PM

That bit about the mirrors and knives is a new one to me! But I never stand in an open door during an electrical storm.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 09:46 PM

When my Mum was alive, if she thought we were going to have a storm, I had to go all round the house unplugging everything and turning the electric off. Also had to open the front and back doors in case of a thunderbolt so it could go right through. I used to like to watch the storm through the window, but that wasn't allowed either.

Now I never switch anything off and I watch it all happening through the window!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 12:00 AM

Modern surge protectors will do the job in your home . . . however, if lightning stikes directly on your home no amount of protection will stop massive damage . . . in built-up areas like towns, the chances of it earthing through your house are remote, there are other structures providing an easier path to earth like power pylons and tall buildings . . . if, on the other hand, you live in a tower block on the top floor . . .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top