Join for free
Page 12 of 23 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Re: NHS Malaise

A very deep look at where the funding goes, How much goes to people that have hands on with patients and how much goes to Managers, and non hands on people. I bet they would wriggle out of that some of them by saying that they took paperwork to the wards, so they had contact with patients.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:50 AM

At our local hospital out patient clinic I always look on in wonder at how they run them.

A receptionist sits behind a desk, waiting to deal with people who aren't recognised by the new machines you book in with. The machines do a pretty good job so the receptionist is knitting or playing on a phone or reading a magazine.

Then a nurse is standing by the desk her job is to call out next patient and walk three paces backward to point to the door the patient needs to go into.

Another nurse is in the room and she apologises for the delay tells you what clothing to remove and to sit down. Then she moves off to another room.

Doctor arrives, asks are you mr Jones, that's your time to shine and say no I'm a woman I'm Mrs Julie xxxx and he looks confused looks you up on the computer and blames the nurse for giving him wrong notes.

Now as person who has attended a private hospital too I think they could learn a lot from them. The waste of man hours in NHS is chronic and then you get over worked nurses looking after three or four wards on their own at night, not knowing which way to turn next.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by julie1962 ->
at our local hospital out patient clinic i always look on in wonder at how they run them.

A receptionist sits behind a desk, waiting to deal with people who aren't recognised by the new machines you book in with. The machines do a pretty good job so the receptionist is knitting or playing on a phone or reading a magazine.

Then a nurse is standing by the desk her job is to call out next patient and walk three paces backward to point to the door the patient needs to go into.

Another nurse is in the room and she apologises for the delay tells you what clothing to remove and to sit down. Then she moves off to another room.

Doctor arrives, asks are you mr jones, that's your time to shine and say no i'm a woman i'm mrs julie xxxx and he looks confused looks you up on the computer and blames the nurse for giving him wrong notes.

Now as person who has attended a private hospital too i think they could learn a lot from them. The waste of man hours in nhs is chronic and then you get over worked nurses looking after three or four wards on their own at night, not knowing which way to turn next.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:39 PM

A view on an NHS outpatient appointment I had yesterday. I was phoned yesterday by the Dermatology Department asking if I could attend my appoint an hour earlier than scheduled I was off like a shot, last month I had a portion of my ear removed in order to remove a basal cell carcinoma (non malignant skin cancer before you google) This was a follow
up appointment by the surgeon to see how the wound healed. I arrived..saw the nurse..saw the surgeon and was back out of the hospital before my 15 minutes free parking time had elapsed Brilliant eh?
I had waited 9 months for the op though
Nevertheless the NHS in my view is worth every penny and more. I would in fact not be overly fussed if I was asked to contribute what I could if the need ever arose.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
At our local hospital out patient clinic I always look on in wonder at how they run them.

Doctor arrives, asks are you mr Jones, that's your time to shine and say no I'm a woman I'm Mrs Julie xxxx and he looks confused looks you up on the computer and blames the nurse for giving him wrong notes.

Now as person who has attended a private hospital too I think they could learn a lot from them. The waste of man hours in NHS is chronic and then you get over worked nurses looking after three or four wards on their own at night, not knowing which way to turn next.
It is very different in my local hospital and the main University Hospital. One books in at the desk/s, then sits in a central waiting area. The nurse who runs the clinic comes out and calls your name then takes you to sit in the half dozen chairs outside the consulting room. Then the consultant, with your notes in his hand comes out to take you into his room.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

I haven't been at all impressed by some private hospital staff/facilities. It really depends on the organisation and its culture. There are quite a few private providers in the NHS already.

Go to a private hospital and there is a patchwork of quality of services. If things go wrong, you have to pay for them to fix it (if they can). Or they pass the buck to the NHS. Internally they are very varied and have all the problems businesses can have. At the moment they want your business but if they had all the business they would be complacent and inefficient.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
It is very different in my local hospital and the main University Hospital. One books in at the desk/s, then sits in a central waiting area. The nurse who runs the clinic comes out and calls your name then takes you to sit in the half dozen chairs outside the consulting room. Then the consultant, with your notes in his hand comes out to take you into his room.
My mum's hospital has automated check-in. You put in your details to confirm you've arrived and then you sit in the relevant clinic. The desk staff (not nurses) in the clinic answer questions on what to do next and arrange new appointments, print out letters. They are constantly busy. There is a nurse who puts the notes in the consultant's tray and greets you, takes you for some basic health checks (weight, blood pressure etc). Then when the consultant is ready they come out pick up the notes and call your name. After the consult you go to the desk and make a new appointment/(s) and to ask where to go next.

The desk staff have a function. I have been in a hospital for tests where there are no desk staff and it was horrible. You felt completely alone. But what I've found is that every hospital and every clinic has a slightly different way of doing things.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 09:48 PM

I recently went to outpatients for an appointment which came through within three weeks from Gp referring me.

I was in 10 minutes early, scanned and outside in again in under 30 minutes. More than pleased with that service.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 10:21 PM

FP, that is how it is at my hospital. There is free parking for the first half hour, so I usually opt for that, knowing that I will be out within the time limit.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 10:25 PM

If you want to go to a private hospital make sure it's for something minor.
For serious ailments and life saving treatment you want all the back up and expertise of the NHS .

Page 12 of 23 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top