Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 12:49 PM

Re: How To Avoid Speeding Fines.

How do you get 4 donkeys into a mini car?

answer

2 in the front seat
2 in the back seat

and 1 on top going EEEEEOOOOOOOOOR- EEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOR
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 02:33 PM

But surely speed limits are in fact limits and not targets.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 03:16 PM

Fogey , when I took my CBT a couple of years ago to ride a motorbike I was told we should drive up to the speed limit of the road , I've been behind cars that drive at 35mph on a 50 rd and it's a hazard to be stuck behind them . So I do so now .
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
If you were only 1mph over the limit then you must have been in a busy area, or your speedo was wrong. If neither then I would have contested the case to find out why the 10% rule was not implied
I was caught doing 58 mph if it was 57 I would have been ok, that’s the 1mph difference
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 09:48 PM

The speed restrictions are an ass.

I agree with the speed limits in towns and especially near schools and parks but not on motorways.

The limits were introduced when cars struggled to stop in 1 mile from 70.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
How do you get 4 donkeys into a mini car?

answer

2 in the front seat
2 in the back seat

and 1 on top going EEEEEOOOOOOOOOR- EEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOR
Something wrong with the maths?
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=Tpin;1317119]The speed restrictions are an ass.

I agree with the speed limits in towns and especially near schools and parks but not on motorways.

The limits were introduced when cars struggled to stop in 1 mile from 70.[/QUOT

Cars stop very quickly when they hit another one.I think very few of us are aware of really how poor our reactions are if faced with the back of a stationery lorry on the motorway. A minuscule amount of us have reactions quick enough to deal with an emergency above 70mph and the same amount are not reading the road or the traffic half a mile ahead.
I know there will be those that say Im a good driver, but how good are you if the driver in front does something stupid. So WE ALL should consider the other driver as an idiot, which means I dont care how good you think you are you are an idiot driver and give them a wide berth.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=Norway;1317168]
Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Cars stop very quickly when they hit another one.I think very few of us are aware of really how poor our reactions are if faced with the back of a stationery lorry on the motorway. A minuscule amount of us have reactions quick enough to deal with an emergency above 70mph and the same amount are not reading the road or the traffic half a mile ahead.
Two people have died and 10 more have been taken to hospital after a "horror" multi-vehicle crash near Dubbo, in which a truck allegedly failed to stop at roadworks.

NSW Police said they believed four cars, a B-double truck and utility vehicle were stopped at a roadworks site when they were hit from behind by the semi-trailer.

A roadworker collapsed with shock, while New South Wales Police said seven vehicles were involved in the incident which occurred about 12.30pm about 20 kilometres north of Dubbo.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-1...-crash/9333390
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 11:30 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with Motorway speed limits, as Norway points out, there are a lot of drivers unable to cope with reaction times over seventy mile per hour, and there's always one not paying attention....

The speed limits I find inappropriate are the ones that have been reduced to 30mph from 40mph on main roads. Anyone who can't react to an emergency while travelling at 40mph should not be on the road. Drivers should be able to asses the speed required to drive safely through built up areas. I'm not talking about minor roads and roads through housing estates and past schools, just the A class roads through villages and towns (through routes)

Speed limits have been reduced on roads round here following serious accidents, most of these accidents were caused by young drivers exceeding the speed limits by large amounts and losing control, sometimes in vehicles that were uninsured and should not have been on the roads in the first place. These drivers will ignore any speed limit posted, and the safe drivers who will obey the speed limits would not have been involved in accidents in the first place. So we all suffer the lower speed limits but the idiots will ignore the limits as before.

It's not the speed that kills people, It's the inability of the driver to concentrate on the road ahead and drive at a speed suited to the conditions.
There are far too many distractions inside vehicles these days taking away the drivers concentration....
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2018, 10:24 AM

Yes I agree its not the speed that kills, its the after effects of going too fast on a section of road that is considered not suitable for various reasons, it may be because of a bend , camber of the road or just that very simple thing that it is close to a school or in the vicinity of a school.
I would suggest that if a speed limit has been lowered and people do not agree , then contact the local authorities and ask for a reason, and that reason has to be provided and must be a valid one .
No one will ever be able to stop the mindless idiots that steal cars, drive like idiots, because they couldnt care less what they do.The penalties for that sort of behaviour are not severe enough to be a deterrent .
Now I still find it strange that people say this or that road should not be a 30 or 40 limit, just what is the problem in obeying the limit, why do they need to go above the limit??. If it were not so stupid and in many cases dangerous it would be laughable.
As I said before it happens in every country. The amount of times that I get overtaken by some idiot exceeding the limit and then 3 miles down the road he is behind a another car because we have very few straight sections of road. I honestly think that the majority that do this have this mental thing that they have to be in front of the car that is in front of them, nothing to do with getting anywhere quicker

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top