Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 06:54 PM

Introducing The BIG Debate (and other changes update)

Hi all

I have been reflecting on the changes we introduced recently and, in hindsight, and taking into account your feedback, I think that having two identical Discussions sections just wasn't really working.

Therefore I have made a few changes and additions...

- We now have a 'members-only' section (for ALL registered members). Inside the members-only section we have the older, '25 posts and 3 months' Members section (so the privacy level of those threads are maintained) but we may phase this older section out if it is no longer used.

- We also now have a facility where Mods can mark *any* thread in any forum as a 'members only' thread. This will be used for threads that we'd rather not be shown publicly, although we will currently just move threads to the members-only section for now. As before, please do not take it personally if we decide to move your thread or mark it as a 'Members Only' thread - it is merely a judgment call that we're making about the thread as a whole and its place on the forum.

- Finally (edit: this idea is now on hold, skip to 'edit 2' below) we have a NEW section: The Big Debate! This section will have higher expectations than normal for the kind of threads posted and the level of debate expected. It is for grown-up debate. That means members can expect robust debate, but it also means putting your points in a considered and considerate way.

All threads posted in The Big Debate section will need to be approved before they are made live (as they will need to be started impartially, and as a 'debate' rather than a 'rant') and all replies must adhere to a strict standard of polite discourse. I will post up the rules once I have written them. The section won't be to everyone's taste, and is more aimed at those who have been asking for a higher level of debate.

Edit: Just to clarify, the new rules will apply to this section only. You can post as you always have on the rest of the forum

Edit 2: I have added another section 'Have Your Say' which will be, quite different to The Big Debate section More details here.

I hope you like the changes, and look forward to changing it all around again in 7 days time. (< Just kidding!)
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Re: Introducing The BIG Debate (and other changes update)

Hi

No complaints from me Azz.

I just think that it is so sad that you have had to make changes to the best Over 50's Site on the Internet because of the actions of a few.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:07 PM

That should please those who like that sort of stuff, moving all the heavy artillery into the one place, you can’t be fairer than that. It might be a good idea to open a casualty thread in the same section for the wounded.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I just think that it is so sad that you have had to make changes to the best Over 50's Site on the Internet because of the actions of a few.
I agree with you its not the forum i joined .
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:12 PM

Full details will be in the section Rules thread, but please don't think you have to change how you post on the forum - the new rules will ONLY apply to the new section... you can post as you always have on the rest of the forum
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:31 PM

This looks very promising !

Loving the section title

Some proper debate to compliment Chit Chat and general discussion
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It's not happening because of people's actions Swimfeeders.

It is more to create a more formal space in which those that are interested can participate in formal debate rather than casual chat/discussion.

Think of it as the difference between an episode of Loose Women and an episode of Question Time.

Both have their place but the latter is for structured debate where you establish a topic or question or theory and invite people to put forward their views/contributions together with their evidence to support those views etc.

As Azz says, it won't be for everyone. It can be difficult to present one's points in an objective and structured way but imo it is a skill well worth practising. I got fairly hammered when I first entered such a debate some years ago. Not in a rude way, but rather my points just didn't stand up to scrutiny and evidence and others were infinitely better at debating than I was, but the more I participated the better I got and the more respectful I became of opposing views.

I'm hoping the new section will be eventful and enlightening.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 07:46 PM

Sounds good, a place for robust debate & no place for sissy s.

Speaking as someone with thin skin, I am happy to let the more intellectual members slug it out in a fixed place.

If there are to be duels chums then choose your weapons !
Vowels or Consonants.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 09:07 PM

The way I see it Azz, your site, your rules.
Hope everyone enjoys their robust debate.
I may pop in from time to time.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 11:06 PM

Really good idea - well done Azz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top