Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Penknives..

I've collected them for some time.
I particularly like the 3 blade "Stockman" pattern.

Some of these can be quite "pretty".
Takes me back to my younger days when many lads carried a penknife, but we didn't use them to stab each other!
I remember when it wasn't unusual at all to have a penknife in your pocket..

Yes, I know you can see a "tactical" knife in this one, but I had to have at least one...

I like Opinels as well - much more robust than they appear and stupidly sharp.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 08:12 PM

Re: Penknives..

Gosh that brings back memories of my granddad he always had a pen knife, used it to cut flowers from hedge row for my nan on his way home from work, in the garden to make cuttings of plants and would sharpen my pencils for school with it too.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Gosh that brings back memories of my granddad he always had a pen knife, used it to cut flowers from hedge row for my nan on his way home from work, in the garden to make cuttings of plants and would sharpen my pencils for school with it too.
Yes,

Same kind of memories for me Julie.
I often have one in my pocket - very useful to have.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 08:29 PM

Hi

Living in a small agricultural village it seems everyone carries a knife, invaluable for feed sacks, cutting bailer twine etc,

They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

The one thing they all have in common is that they are very sharpe, a blunt knife is no use to anyone.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

13-07-2016, 08:30 PM

Until I started collecting, I didn't realise that traditional folders have what's called a "pattern" (style if you like)

The first is a "Muskrat"
Second is a "Trapper"

Last two are both "Stockman"

There are many other patterns as well.

fender
Chatterbox
SE England

13-07-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Living in a small agricultural village it seems everyone carries a knife, invaluable for feed sacks, cutting bailer twine etc,

They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

The one thing they all have in common is that they are very sharpe, a blunt knife is no use to anyone.
Exactly Swim.

More accidents / injuries come from blunt knives as well. This is because they don't "bite" easily and more force needs to be applied to get the cut started. That extra force is often what causes a slip and therefore an injury.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 08:42 PM

God I still have a Pen knife, its Red, back in the 70s a boy who I was going out with gave it to me, never use it, it's stuck in the drawers, I see if I can find it and put a photo on.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 08:50 PM

I think it has 6 blades.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

13-07-2016, 08:55 PM

Looks kinda like a Swiss army knife, or copy thereof. They were widely copied and still are.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 09:24 PM

I have a small Swiss Army penknife on my keyring, which I occasionally find most useful.

I remember some years ago going on a flight to Aberdeen and forgetting I had it on my keyring. The security people at Manchester Airport decided that its ONE INCH blade was dangerous on an aeroplane and confiscated it.

How they thought I was going to hijack an aeroplane with such a little thing, I don't know. I reckon a pen could have been more dangerous. 'Box ticking', I suppose.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top