Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 07:58 PM

Open Cast mining in Wales

Just watching a programme on the River Taff in Wales .
Once a dead river now full of fish
( BBC 4)
It is about the mining communities that were around the Taff
It is showing the biggest open caste mining in the country.
A fanstatic operation .
The open cast mine has uncovered many old mine shafts where miners used to toil underground .
How time should have changed !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 08:02 PM

Re: Open Cast mining in Wales

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Just watching a programme on the River Taff in Wales .
Once a dead river now full of fish
( BBC 4)
It is about the mining communities that were around the Taff
It is showing the biggest open caste mining in the country.
A fanstatic operation .
The open cast mine has uncovered many old mine shafts where miners used to toil underground .
How time should have changed !
I know that there are no longer any deep shaft mines in this country, but I'm surprised that there are still open cast mines because coal-fired power stations are all being closed down...

...in favour of windmills!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 10:20 AM

I was surprised too .
I didn't know we still used coal .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 01:52 PM

I was surprised too .
I didn't know we still used coal .
No, we still have several power stations burning coal including Drax, our largest. For some reason, though, rather than mining our own (millions of tons still accessible) we buy coal from Poland and other places!

As I understand it, they are talking about closing all coal-fired power stations or converting them to burn wood pellets. A rather stupid idea, as wood is a far less efficient fuel than coal yet still creates the naughty carbon dioxide which, apparently, is 'killing' the planet.

Yet another stupid and misguided attempt to placate the greenies and will hasten the onset of regular power cuts.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Hi

We still use coal in the steel industry, it is used to make coke for the blast furnaces.

We import coal because it is cheaper to do so than mine it here.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

We import coal because it is cheaper to do so than mine it here.
Perhaps so, but what about all the unemployed miners now on benefits?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hi

We are a small island, people do not want huge opencasts on their doorstep and unless and until we get them, we cannot compete on costs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-08-2017, 03:47 PM

Fortunately, many of the more recently closed mines have been mothballed in order that they can be re-opened in the future when foreign sources of coal 'dry up'.

I'm not sure whether the eco-warriors are aware of that, perhaps it is being kept very much under wraps, but they may have a bit of a shock coming in the future!

After that, should the situation become sufficiently desperate, it is possible that old mines might have to be re-opened or even re-dug at great expense.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

17-08-2017, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The huge open cast mine only employed about four men who drive big coal diggers doing the work of hundreds of the minors of the past.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-08-2017, 09:49 PM

The huge open cast mine only employed about four men who drive big coal diggers doing the work of hundreds of the minors of the past.
I'm talking about the miners who worked in the many deep shaft mines that we once had.

At the one where I volunteer, Astley Green Colliery, there were 2,000 mine workers who lost their jobs.

I believe that minors working underground became illegal in the middle of the 19th Century. (Sorry Muddy. I couldn't resist it! )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top