Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:34 AM

Re: What kind of Brexit do you want?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Nope, absolutely not.

I did go to a Catholic Grammar School where many did, that was in Huddersfield.

I now live in a village with a Polish Heritage, going back to WW2 and the airfield here.

My French is as a result of School Exchanges and going over there to do my Baccalaureate .

I speak basic Arabic, Farsi, Pashto and Ukrainian as a result of my job.

Basic Thai, Tagalog etc is as a result of my travels.
Very impressive in that case because Polish is considered the most difficult language to learn due to it's complex grammar.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When I voted there was only on brexit, we stand alone for good or bad. Eu has no part in our lives. It was triggered by article 50 and a year or so later we would be free to do what we need to make our country better.

All that's happening is we are getting nothing like many of voted for, a mess that won't go any way to help us in the long run.

Scared weak people doing the negotiations. Trying to keep us tethered to a leviathan that will eventually fail taking us down with them.

Had enough I just hope grace and her generation don't judge us too badly.
Hi

The Referendum was simple, in or out.

There are many types of out.

If you are saying you voted for a Hard Brexit, simply out, no Trade Agreement and losing all our existing Trade Agreements with Non Eu Countries, that is fine by me.

My question to you Julie is very simple.

How do we recover the money we earn from exports of Services which are not covered by WTO Rules?

We would be £12 Billion a year down in Tax even after paying what we do to the EU.

How are you going to make that up?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:46 AM

Tax swim tax. We don't pay enough tax. On income many many of us pay zero. That's not right IMO and causes people to feel unconnected with decisions government make.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
The Referendum was simple, in or out.

There are many types of out.
Indeed there are.

It seems that the latest news is that Theresa the appeaser has agreed a form of 'out' in which we remain 'in' to all intents and purposes!

Of course, we still have a large bill to pay for the privilege.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Indeed there are.

It seems that the latest news is that Theresa the appeaser has agreed a form of 'out' in which we remain 'in' to all intents and purposes!

Of course, we still have a large bill to pay for the privilege.
Interesting translation of out although as a remainer I'm not that surprised really.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 04:40 PM

I just want 'out ' that is what I voted for, I thought everything else would fall into place in time .
If the EU can come to some amicable trade agreement that is fine, if not we will survive trading with the rest of the world most of whom don't belong to the EU anyway.

I hadn't anticipated that the whole process of our leaving the EU would be such a farce with politics taking centre stage and unnecessary obstacles put in our way at every turn . It should really have been a comparatively easy thing to leave when we have so many mutual laws and interests in common with the EU.
I don't know why the EU is concerned other countries might want to leave if they give us a good deal , if is is so wonderful belonging to this protectionist club no one else will want to leave will they.

There have been announcements recently of inward investment into the UK some listed here..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42131742
more will follow in spite of what we have heard to the contrary .
I believe whatever happens London will stay one of the top financial centres in the world along with New York, Hong Kong and Singapore regardless of a few narrow thinking people trying to tell us otherwise . Some seem to think the EU is at the centre of everything, part of the propaganda put out by the EU itself . Too many people are doing well out of the EU to want the bubble to burst.

I am please any payments we have committed to make to the EU are to be paid over a long period, with a bit of luck the EU may implode before we have to complete all the payments particularly when other countries see how well we are doing on the outside.

I think some people have been far to critical of Mrs May, giving the circumstances surrounding our departure I can't see anyone else having done a much better job.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 05:26 PM

We keep talking about trade with the EU, when out shopping the other day I was struck by how many goods actually come from other places and on which we are presumably paying a tariff because they are outside the EU.

Most of the stuff I buy on a regular basis comes from the UK but of the things that didn't the other day almonds were from Australia, Apples South Africa oranges Morocco coffee from Kenya. Nothing came from the EU.
I noticed many vegetables and salads came from Kenya or Egypt, I didn't buy any of those I prefer to eat locally grown and seasonal but many people must be buying them

When we leave the EU we can negotiate our own trade deals with these countries and they might be lower than the tariffs we pay now imposed because they are outside the EU .

Granted my Freezer and Washing Machine were made in Germany but I don't buy those kind of large items very often ( the freezer is 20 years old) so can cope with a tariff should it be necessary .

We seem to hear so many negative things about not having a trade deal with the EU, there will also be compensations I am sure.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-12-2017, 05:54 PM

Two great posts there Meg and I agree most of our stuff comes from far and wide if not from uk.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:19 PM

Hi

If we lower tariffs without a specific trade deal, we have to offer those tariffs to all in the WTO.

That is the way the system operates.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:49 PM

It matters naught Brexit has been sold out by May who in as made by opinion is presiding over as big a hash of our country's economy as Thatcher did.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top