Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 10:26 AM

The House of Lords versus freedom of the press

What an absolute shower sit in the unelected House of Lords, an extract here from a report in today's paper.....

"UNELECTED peers eager to muzzle the media last night inflicted a painful blow on Government plans to protect Press freedoms.

Following a lengthy and bad-tempered debate, the House of Lords voted for a series of amendments which would curb the media’s ability to investigate corruption and other scandals.

Peers voted by 211 votes to 200, a majority of only 11, to introduce a draconian law amounting to ‘blackmail’ which would force the vast majority of newspapers, including the local Press, to pay all legal costs in data protection cases even if they win.

It would mean criminals, corrupt businessmen and rogue politicians who feared they were under investigation could drag media companies through the courts in the knowledge it would not cost them a penny
"

Thankfully government minister Matt Hancock has vowed to try and overturn these amendments in the Commons.

I've said it many times I know, but it really is time now to cull this bunch of self serving House of Lords shysters....
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Re: The House of Lords versus freedom of the press

The problem is that if we replace the house of lords with an elected assembly we are going to have the same problem as we have with the house of commons, with elected career politician's self serving themselves and the party they represent rather than the people.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 11:12 AM

It was discussed on Radio 4 that TM is proposing to make twelve more Tory peers in order to push through Brexit with no opposition. This, after she had said that she would not elect more to the HL.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
It was discussed on Radio 4 that TM is proposing to make twelve more Tory peers in order to push through Brexit with no opposition. This, after she had said that she would not elect more to the HL.
Thanks Cee Cee
This just proves my point that our political system is flawed when this can be done.
Please note I am not questioning this because its a brexit issue but purely because the system can be abused when required.
If we have a second chamber it needs to be totally independent of government meddling surely, and why should it be lords and ladies etc there to oversee it, those times are gone when we thought that nobility had higher morals.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 11:52 AM

I agree that the press should be free to publish things in the public interest, but, only if those things are true.
I think " trial by media" should be stopped but it is unfair to make the papers pay if their case us proved in the courts.
It's difficult to allow free press coverage without some with their own agenda to warp things.
Is there a way?
As for the House of Lords, sometimes I'm glad they're there to curb this Government's
actions and sometimes I think they're taking the p...!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
What an absolute shower sit in the unelected House of Lords, an extract here from a report in today's paper.....

"UNELECTED peers eager to muzzle the media last night inflicted a painful blow on Government plans to protect Press freedoms.

Following a lengthy and bad-tempered debate, the House of Lords voted for a series of amendments which would curb the media’s ability to investigate corruption and other scandals.

Peers voted by 211 votes to 200, a majority of only 11, to introduce a draconian law amounting to ‘blackmail’ which would force the vast majority of newspapers, including the local Press, to pay all legal costs in data protection cases even if they win.

It would mean criminals, corrupt businessmen and rogue politicians who feared they were under investigation could drag media companies through the courts in the knowledge it would not cost them a penny
"

Thankfully government minister Matt Hancock has vowed to try and overturn these amendments in the Commons.

I've said it many times I know, but it really is time now to cull this bunch of self serving House of Lords shysters....

The Lords are merely reminding the scumbag 'nasty party' that the second part of the Leveson report has yet to be implemented, a report which a large part of the scumbag 'nasty party' accepted at the time!!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 01:39 PM

The House of Lords is merely an old folks home for the wealthy and priveledged. Shut it down.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=Floydy;1312920]The House of Lords is merely an old folks home for the wealthy and priveledged. Shut it down.[/QUOTE]

I know some Irish people who could use the practice.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
The Lords are merely reminding the scumbag 'nasty party' that the second part of the Leveson report has yet to be implemented, a report which a large part of the scumbag 'nasty party' accepted at the time!!!
Of course being an unreformed commie then control of the press is all important, best not to allow the hoi palloi to know what is really happening in the world, however there does seem a contradiction here inasmuch that you now find it expedient to praise the class of people that you despise the most?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

11-01-2018, 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=Uncle Joe;1312921]
Originally Posted by Floydy ->
The House of Lords is merely an old folks home for the wealthy and priveledged. Shut it down.[/QUOTE]

I know some Irish people who could use the practice.
And you have the gall to call anyone else nasty....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top