Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Re: looking to update en-suite

Thanks for that, actually its not in bad nic, I think your Susan might be a bit like me its nice to improve on things ... I look forward to seeing it all progress
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Looks can deceive, the fittings some don't work or stick, or try sitting on the loo and you bang your knees on the shower cabinet
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 02:47 PM

realspeed, Well done for getting a bargain! It will all look nice and fresh!!

I have always hated my kitchen tiles. I would love to rip them off and do them again.
There’s only one drawback, l can’t tile but would love to learn!
My cousin’s wife taught herself and does all the tiling in their house and in the houses they own and rent out.
I envy her being able to tile and it looks so professional!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 11:26 PM

Actually tiling is not that hard. The placing of the tile around widows is the hardest part so they are even on each side. Once I had removed the old tiles ( little tip remove a few at a time and mark the plaster behind so you can replace in same position), cut the with a tile cutter on a tile cutting slider. Also you will need star shaped spacers to stop tiles butting up to each other. Apart from removing old tile cement left on the walls you just stick the new tiles in. then let dry behind and remove star spacers and grout the gaps. edges are finished off with plastic quadrant inserted while tiling .

Years ago you used to finish of edge tiles with special edging tiles that were curved on one side, but don't think that is the modern way now

Everything is made to look harder than it actually is. I have done a few walls in previous houses.

Plumbing is a complete no no for me, absolutely useless with anything connected with water
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Years ago you used to finish of edge tiles with special edging tiles that were curved on one side, but don't think that is the modern way now
There are still edging strips you can buy and if you find you will have an inconveniently sized tile, you can buy metal or tile strips to close the gap.

As for plumbing............it's like lego - plastic, push together joints, but metal compression joints are much more reliable.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

04-02-2018, 10:35 AM

I have never had to add inserts to fill in gaps in tiles that don't fit. measure again and again , then cut any tiles that need cutting. Never ever heard of filling gaps with inserts. If I caught a Tiler doing that they would be straight off site. This is what I use

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 10:40 AM

The big problem will be taking off the old tiles if that is your intention, particularly if the walls are stud, as there is a high probability of damaging the plasterboard. It is perfectly acceptable these days to overtile as there are modern adhesives made specifically for that, so it may be worth considering that route before you start....it worked for us in the last house.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 10:54 AM

I quite like tiling it's one of those satisfying jobs with quick results, bit like wallpaper hanging I like that too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

04-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Barry
That would make the walls with tiles 3 deep and overlap the door frame.
The idiots who did this like everything else in the house was bodged. Around the window they didn't even use edging tiles or plastic strips

They even had to use 1/4 " wood quadrant to fill in the depth between wall and tile. So no, all the tiles off is the only way to go

Also if we added a third row of tiles the shower front wouldn't fit. We need the whole 600 mm which works out perfectly for a nice fit with one tile thickness on the walls

As i said measurements is the answer before any problems are discovered. I have removed may tiles off partition walls and none that a skim of plaster didn't fix.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have never had to add inserts to fill in gaps in tiles that don't fit. measure again and again , then cut any tiles that need cutting. Never ever heard of filling gaps with inserts. If I caught a Tiler doing that they would be straight off site. This is what I use

Putting an insert in can be part of the overall design - it wouldn't be just on one wall.

Cutting a half inch strip of tile isn't everyone's forte........

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top