Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 07:38 PM

Re: Do you read a daily newspaper?

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The Mail is a ghastly tabloid!
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Too true.
Unfortunately youll set Gravy off again with that post!
Originally Posted by Missy ->
Nope

Closest I get to reading a paper is reading mums Saturday Mail whilst Im using it for wrapping up rubbish on a Sunday
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thats the best use for it
Yawn....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Yawn....

That's pretty ignorant of you quoting me

It could be the Gaurdian, the Times or the Daily Record, I wouldn't buy one to read and whatever came through our door, would still only be glanced at whilst using it to wrap rubbish in
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The Mail is a ghastly tabloid!
As already explained, the Mail is Britain's finest newspaper. Even the Left-wing mass unfettered immigration activist and anti-Brexit campaigner, James O'Brien (LBC and Newsnight)
admitted it a couple of times (before the Brexit vote).

Saying: they have the best journalists. And then there are the awards they win. More than any other newspaper.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 09:22 PM

I read The Express as like the crossword puzzle and I also get the Telegraph on-line daily as well.

Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
Never Bought a daily paper for me they could all go bust

Although I used to deliver them
May I ask what you DO read?
Gravitas
North England

09-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Mrs LDs buys the Mail every day except Sundays. I only ever read the comic strips and the letters page and occasionally I do the crosswords. I hate online papers because by the time the page loads it's yesterday's news. I also dislike all the misleading headlines online.

Did your wife marry beneath herself?

She should have listened to her mother!
Gravitas
North England

10-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am a bit of a news junkie though I haven't bought a newspaper since the Sydney Morning Herald went tabloid but now I read all my newspapers on line.

My 'home' pages are:

ABC News
Sydney Morning Herald
The Guardian Australia

The above I read daily but on a less regular basis I also look at:

The Illawarra Mercury - my 'local' paper.
Aljazeera

Between them I think they keep me reasonably well informed.

My brother told me that most decent UK papers are now behind a pay wall, is that true? The ones I use above are still all free.
No, it isn't true. The Mailonline is still free (for example). They need to find a way to monetize it. People shouldn't be so parasitical. Good journalism requires money.

Few people want to read much online. They much prefer hard copy.

The internet has much to do about people not being able to read full articles anymore. Never mind perusing a newspaper.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
No, it isn't true. The Mailonline is still free (for example). They need to find a way to monetize it. People shouldn't be so parasitical. Good journalism requires money.

Few people want to read much online. They much prefer hard copy.

The internet has much to do about people not being able to read full articles anymore. Never mind perusing a newspaper.
The Guardian Australia has, at the end of each article, the following:

Since you’re here …

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.

I appreciate there not being a paywall: it is more democratic for the media to be available for all and not a commodity to be purchased by a few. I’m happy to make a contribution so others with less means still have access to information.
Thomasine F-R.

If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps fund it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as $1, you can support the Guardian – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
Become a supporter
Make a contribution
Paypal and credit card
I have seen the Mail On Line - it doesn't deserve to be behind a pay wall - many of its articles are plagiarised from proper journalists working for real news agencies without attribution. The rest is just click bait.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 04:51 PM

I don't read the Mailonline which I think is rubbish, but I do read the MailPlus, which has has to be purchased by annual subscription and is the same daily newspaper as that day's hard copy and in the same format, in fact just an online replica of the real thing but with expandable pages, more pictures and even videos with some articles. A bargain as well at half the price of the daily..
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 05:49 PM

No Floydy...I don't read the newspaper at all...if it's not on TV or the net...then I don't see it.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top