Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:51 AM

Re: Escape to the Country

I love Escape to the Country, I hate the educational bits though, l don't want to know how to keep chickens or throw pots just show me the houses.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I watch 'Escape to the country ' sometimes and cant understand why so many 'mature' older people want to get larger , often remote properties,.Surely as we get older we need less work, not something with more cleaning, upkeeping etc. they often choose remote areas, with no neighbours,what happens if they become ill and need help?

I love programmes like "Escape to the Country", and often look on in envy at some of the gorgeous properties they go to look at, especially the last secret property, which always turns out to be a dream.

However, I too, cannot understand why elderly people go for huge, isolated properties with the nearest neighbours a mile away, surely they must realise that they will be rattling around in that pile with just the two of them. And who the hell would want to be climbing those countless stairs two or three times a day! certainly not me.

Living in beautiful rural Shropshire myself, I can appreciate the appeal of 60+ couples who have sold their expensive properties in the city wanting to see out their Autumn years in the beauty of the surrounding countryside . Who wouldn't want that if one can afford it. I can also understand why they would perhaps wish to move from the city in the first place as I too personally believe that our cities are more for young energetic working people living in the fast lane and the older one gets, the more the city becomes too fast paced for them. But... I'm pretty sure that once they are settled into their expensive but beautiful country piles with breathtaking views from every window, the novelty must soon wear off, those same people must soon regret the isolation and lonliness of never even seeing someone to chat to or even passing by their property. They must love to see the postman!!

My feeling is that by all means move to the country, but make sure it is to a home that they will always love, can get about easily as they age, cleans easily, (unless they can afford a housekeeper or cleaner) and it has a pub where they can meet others, a post office and newsagents, and most importantly, a community hall where you can join in with activities that go with it, all on the doorstep or within spitting distance of their property. I believe then they would enjoy living in the country.

That's how I feel anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I love Escape to the Country, I hate the educational bits though, l don't want to know how to keep chickens or throw pots just show me the houses.
That winds me up too. Just show the houses.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->

Hear Hear!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 11:00 AM

Anyone else noticed with all these house hunting type programmes, there's always one house that the presenter doesn't go into? They send the house hunters in on their own. It seems to be a pattern. I wonder if there is some sort of rule or whether the presenter just jogs down to the pub?

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top