Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 09:12 PM

Re: Should we Limit or Stop Having Children.

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
I blame Eve and those ruddy apples.
Yes, it's always the woman's fault, isn't it?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:18 PM

Here's some food for thought:

Does it matter whether or not the human race continues in the long run?

Nature continually redoes the system, especially when populations grow too high or resources diminish.

Edited for the crime of "too, two, to."
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Does nobody understand that this isn't about the UK, it is about being unable to provide food for the whole world? Something we have never had to worry about before, but because humans are always increasing and always want more than they need(I don't mean food, I mean we always want the most and the best of everything) it will become impossible to provide food for all in the future.
Every creature has evolved to need food, be it plants or other creatures, so all species need each other to survive. Human greed and reproduction is now making this look impossible in the future, and climate change won't help the situation.
Insects reproduce very quickly, so they may be the only source of food to help the human race ( and probably many other creatures) survive. That is why so much research is being done to establish insects that we could, in effect, farm to produce nourishment!
We did worry about it in WW2 I remember ration books, anyway and to be perfectly honest I don’t give a toss about other countries shortages, Africa had it all but threw it away because of greed and wars, if they all due of starvation...tough
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Nature continually redoes the system, especially when populations grow to high or resources diminish.
Exactly! The planet will survive once it has reduced the parasites leeching off it, a couple of pandemics will reduce the population, a decent meteor strike or even Yellowstone popping off my might help.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Nature continually redoes the system, especially when populations grow to high or resources diminish.

Quite let the cockroaches have a turn
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
We did worry about it in WW2 I remember ration books, anyway and to be perfectly honest I don’t give a toss about other countries shortages, Africa had it all but threw it away because of greed and wars, if they all due of starvation...tough
I agree. Africa contains some of the best farming land in the world, yet for some reason they seem unable to support themselves. Many Africans continue to have more children than they can support and their children do the same. Recently, of course, they are all coming here to see what they can obtain from us, so the problem is spreading!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Quite let the cockroaches have a turn
....again .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Does nobody understand that this isn't about the UK, it is about being unable to provide food for the whole world? Something we have never had to worry about before, but because humans are always increasing and always want more than they need(I don't mean food, I mean we always want the most and the best of everything) it will become impossible to provide food for all in the future.
Every creature has evolved to need food, be it plants or other creatures, so all species need each other to survive. Human greed and reproduction is now making this look impossible in the future, and climate change won't help the situation.
Insects reproduce very quickly, so they may be the only source of food to help the human race ( and probably many other creatures) survive. That is why so much research is being done to establish insects that we could, in effect, farm to produce nourishment!
..add to that the water :

World Water Day..22nd March 2018

Experts believe approximately one quarter of global freshwater use is related to the production of meat and dairy, which is likely to increase as meat and dairy production continues to rise.
The long-term impact of unsustainable water use to produce meat, together with increasing water variability caused by climate change, means that humans’ capacity to continue using agricultural water the way it has been used in the past simply will not sustain humanity in the future.

Today is World Water Day! Water is the most important resource on our planet, but sadly agriculture and meat production are massive water wasters! Did you know that 15000 liters of water is needed to produce 1 kilo of meat? Reducing your weekly meat consumption and choosing more plant-based options is one positive way to save this valuable resource. Try it out!
For more information about making compassionate food choices and animal welfare, sign up for the FOUR PAWS Nutrition newsletter: bit.ly/nutrition-newsletter
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 11:12 AM

Limiting uk birth rates makes little sense to me while we have to import labour from other countries. We have an aging population we need young to pay taxes to look after us all.

I would however limit child benefit greatly to just first child and only if means tested and needed.

Not being able to have live babies myself I know the pain that causes. Saying just have a cat or dog is far too harsh but I would say NHS shouldn't be paying for Ivf or other ways to have babies, it should be privately funded only. Harsh as if may sound not having babies wasn't what NHS was set up to deal with, it's not a life threatening disease or illness.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-03-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not being able to have live babies myself I know the pain that causes. Saying just have a cat or dog is far too harsh
God hasn't blessed us with children, so we have cats instead!

There are advantages: no nappies, no screaming kids, no worries about them getting into trouble or unwanted pregnancies.

That gives me an idea...

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top