Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 08:09 PM

Advice need on Cork Tiles.

My house has concrete floors covered in Marley Tiles - was done when it was built. Unfortunately Marley Tiles sweat through stuff like cushion floor and make it look dreadful.

I solved this in the bathroom and lavatory by using cork tiles, and they have worked so well that I am now considering them for the hall. Obviously this means they will have more 'traffic' - does anyone know if they would be substantial enough to cope? They would be warmer than laminate.

Leaving the Marley tiles uncovered is not an option - they are black and horribly marked with paint.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 08:12 PM

Re: Advice need on Cork Tiles.

I know jack s*** about tiles but Google to the rescue ...

http://www.originalstyle.com/en/news...-hallway-tiles

Some useful info there .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 08:14 PM

ST I used to have sealed cork tiles in the kitchen, they were substantial but slippy when I washed the floor...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 08:16 PM

I wouldn't expect cork to wear very well, doesn't it break up?
I have vinyl planks, they're lovely!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I wouldn't expect cork to wear very well, doesn't it break up?
I have vinyl planks, they're lovely!
..not if they are sealed they don't Twiz you can buy sealed and unsealed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

22-06-2014, 08:25 PM

Leaving the Marley tiles uncovered is not an option - they are black and horribly marked with paint.
ST you could try renovating them, you can buy all sorts to do that these days

http://www.tiledoctor.co.uk/quarrytile.html

ETA sorry I forgot it is Marley tiles not Quarry tiles..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 07:40 AM

I've used cork tiles in the kitchen and bathroom in the past and they were Cr@p! They look good to start with, but you have to be careful to seal them properly or they look terrible after a while. Based on my experience, I certainly would never use them in a bathroom. I think you're right to be concerned about the 'traffic', but I'm sure there are heavy duty cork tiles if you want to use them.

I'm really surprized that anything should stain through 'Cushionfloor' .. however, I would lift the original marley tiles, make any repairs to the floor and lay a good quality cushionfloor. Expensive, but IMO, worth it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 10:32 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice - I think I will investigate the possibility of Heuga carpet tiles instead.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
My house has concrete floors covered in Marley Tiles - was done when it was built. Unfortunately Marley Tiles sweat through stuff like cushion floor and make it look dreadful.

I solved this in the bathroom and lavatory by using cork tiles, and they have worked so well that I am now considering them for the hall. Obviously this means they will have more 'traffic' - does anyone know if they would be substantial enough to cope? They would be warmer than laminate.

I have seen cork tiles used in kitchens and hallways before ...if you did use them I would recommend that you use a very good polyurethane varnish or sealer on them .... if you google 'cork tiling' you will find a lot of info
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 08:51 PM

If your marley tiles have been down for a number of years its more than likely that they were laid with black adhesive ( laced with bitumen),.

GW is right, lift the tiles repair where needed, seal the floor, then you can cushion floor without any worry.

Roy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top