Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 06:23 PM

Re: Vitamins and supplements

I went to the Docs for a check up a few months ago. I told her
that I wasn't happy since they took me off of the HRT. I couldn't
care less was feeling more tired than usual and wasn't bothered
anymore. So she did a blood test and then sent me a prescription
for some Vit D. I only took about 3 or 4 tablets one a day and felt
great. Still do apart from my fall which knocked me back abit.
Vit D is what we get from the Sun as you know the further
North you go the less Vit D you get in Winter etc.
So I take Vit D but used to take Cod Liver Oil so might get some
more as that's good for anyone any age.
I do eat lots of veg like broccoli and carrots, cabbage and kale
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 06:46 PM

Same here Sandy, my Doc has given me Vit D tablets, stronger ones, only take one twice a week for 6 weeks.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 08:04 PM

I take Glucosamine every day, supposed to help with staying supple and I've recently added a vitamin c pill daily but that's it - I take no other pills or medication so quite pleased, really.
I think the glucosamine helps not sure about the vit c....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 08:09 PM

Because of my very limited diet I take a multi vitamin, vitamin D and B complex and calcium and iron. All prescribed as I kept getting ill from lack of vitamins.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 10:24 AM

I try and avoid taking any medicine be it fluid or pills, my thoughts are a body gets to rely on them against letting the body at least try and heal itself.

Having said that I do have to have a tablet to avoid high blood pressure which is not uncommon and drops in one eye due to glaucoma

All these other vitamin pills are a con like C which can be got from fresh fruit and D which sunlight on the skin produces. Iron from eating green veg.

Why buy pills for those?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I try and avoid taking any medicine be it fluid or pills, my thoughts are a body gets to rely on them against letting the body at least try and heal itself.

Having said that I do have to have a tablet to avoid high blood pressure which is not uncommon and drops in one eye due to glaucoma

All these other vitamin pills are a con like C which can be got from fresh fruit and D which sunlight on the skin produces. Iron from eating green veg.

Why buy pills for those?

Because , some of us do not have enough sun nor can our bodies retain it long enough , My D levels had dropped that low i finish up with a fracture in my foot , and aches and pains , ive been on vit D now for almost a year and although not rid of pain altogether im a lot better off .
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 04:26 PM

I take prescribed vitamin D twice daily for my osteoporosis and have B12 injections every three months. I also take multivitamins with iron every day (bought online) because I feel that due to my ileostomy I do not absorb enough nutrients and vitamins thriugh my food.

I rattle when I walk.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 04:38 PM

I don't know if I lack certain vitamins though I do cook and eat nutricious meals from scratch and eat fruit & veg every day....BUT living in the far North I'm sure I must be short in vit' D as We don't get so much sun?...How can One tell?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 05:07 PM

Certainly the advice for us in the far North is to go out for 30 mine a day without sunscreen as the sun here is so weak and rare , we need as much of it as we can get
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
I don't know if I lack certain vitamins though I do cook and eat nutricious meals from scratch and eat fruit & veg every day....BUT living in the far North I'm sure I must be short in vit' D as We don't get so much sun?...How can One tell?

Blood test will confirm,i was waking up with joint pain, Shoulder ,elbows ,thumb joint became so painful it was restricting me. I felt like id done 10 rounds with Tyson ,and my body was under attack from the inside .Took look at me you would not think there was not much wrong ,
But the blood test showed my level D was 19 when it should be 50 .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top