Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 03:31 PM

Organic or not?

Is it worth buying organic foods?
Are they more nutritious?
Is it the chemicals, pesticides and hormones in regular foods that persuade you to choose organic?
If you do buy organic, is it selected items or fully committed?

I have read the research, even so called experts are conflicted.
I still buy organic food, I have for years now and its become a habit. I don't eat meat anyway, for digestive reasons. But dairy I try to always buy organic to avoid as much hormone as possible. I can't obviously tell if its making a difference, but I am reluctant to stop, just in case.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 03:41 PM

Re: Organic or not?

Grief you have hit a button of mine. Some years ago this `celeb` chef said I want flavour and I want freshness and that means organic. What utter twaddle.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 03:49 PM

Hi

Organic food carries a profit premium.

The cost of joining the Soil Association is so high it deters many smaller producers.

Strangely enough we sell more organic food than we produce or import.

I wonder why?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 04:02 PM

I used to sell a few herbs and plants,even a few veg. Was it `organic` No because I could not afford to get the `ticket`But my plants for sale were raised in bought in purpose compost. Just as a side comment beware of anyone selling plants on the market as `home grown` They may be -but is the soil they grew up in disease free?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 04:08 PM

Some organic food definitely tastes better my home grown organic runner beans and raspberries for a start have a better flavour than none organic.

I also notice a difference in the taste of oats/carrots/cauliflower/leeks/ broccoli wholemeal bread flour and a number of other things.

The best tasting eggs by far are not Organic but outdoor reared Clarance Court 'Burford Browns'. http://www.clarencecourt.co.uk/our-r...urford-browns/
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Grief you have hit a button of mine. Some years ago this `celeb` chef said I want flavour and I want freshness and that means organic. What utter twaddle.
Couldn't agree more OG....women will believe anything!
What the hell is Organic anyhow.
I saw some organic honey the other day....how do they tell the bees which flowers to feed on ? ... And how do they make sure that they do?....what a load of utter crap.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 05:26 PM

Hi

All the food I grow is organic and the stuff I byt from the local smallholders is, just that it cannot be labelled as such.

It does taste good though.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

All the food I grow is organic and the stuff I byt from the local smallholders is, just that it cannot be labelled as such.

It does taste good though.
So just what makes it 'organic' then ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

02-10-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
So just what makes it 'organic' then ?
Hi

No chemicals used.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2016, 05:33 PM

I always buy organic milk and butter. Veg from farm shops when I can...and free range eggs which really do taste better.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top