Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Old Fashioned Banana Pudding

Morning everyone, Just sitting down with a cup of coffee and a custard cream after traipsing to the supermarket and then making this below. I had some leftover bananas on the hook which, because I had a shopping delivery of another dozen bananas this week, would normally throw away as they look so unappealing when the skins have turned a yucky colour of black. I could have made a banana cake I suppose but as I had already made a Sultana Slab Traybake this week, I didn’t feel like it.
However, I did think of this recipe moments before they ended up in the bin. It meant a walk to the supermarket for sponge fingers of course but I think it was worth it. Looking online, the recipe most people use are with Nabisco Nilla Wafers, (the original recipe just has to be American because you just try finding those at the supermarket!!) I tried Tesco, Aldi and Sainsbury’s without success. So after delving online for a substitute, they recommended sponge fingers for us Brits. I have therefore substituted with sponge fingers, you know the ones, usually used when making trifle. I’m pretty sure these are what I used the only ever time I made this pudding yonks ago. I do know that this recipe is no good for using such as digestive biscuit crumbs etc as the pudding mix needs to be able to soak into the light, airy sponge.Digestives etc really are too heavy.

As I say, I do recall once making this pudding before a very long time ago. I also recall it was eaten with relish. I will probably serve it this evening with a dollop of whipped cream on the top. Heavenly! (this will be a treat as only make desserts on the weekends normally).
It’s dead easy to do, no cooking as such apart from heating the mixture.

Having gammon, egg, saute potatoes with garden peas for dinner tonight, so this will make a yum rare midweek dessert. Hope you will like and enjoy if you try it. Probably like me, it will mean a trip to the supermarket for the sponge fingers, but hey, Give it a go!

1 cup of sugar (200g or 7oz)
2 cups of milk (500ml)
3 eggs
2 tablespoons of cornflour
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of vanilla fingers or ladyfingers or sponge fingers
3 to 4 ripe bananas.

Mix the sugar and eggs together in a bowl.
Add the cornflour, salt and milk
Bring to the boil on a medium to high heat, stirring all the time until thickened.
Take off from the heat, add the vanilla and stir well.
In a serving bowl, layer the sponge fingers, sliced bananas and the pudding mix
Refrigerate until set on top and lovely and chilled.

Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Banana-Pudding_exps170808_TH2847295D03_01_2bC_RMS.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	3219  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Re: Old Fashioned Banana Pudding

You'll be the death of me shroppie
Irene
Stafford, England
Irene is female  Irene has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Re: Old Fashioned Banana Pudding

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You'll be the death of me shroppie
Me too! Well not me exactly, my DH... he has a sweet tooth.

The sultana traybake is the oven at this very moment as I type. Hubby has already scraped the bowl out before organising the washing up.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top