Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 06:48 AM

Re: An extraordinary idea !

I knew a lady who lost four stone she looked great but had extra skin around her tummy so she had surgery to remove it. I didn't see her for a while about 2 years and I bumped into her shopping, she had put all the weight back on, I often wonder what happened to her skin, does she have enough to deal with her weight increase? I don't think surgery is the answer.

Never heard of the Vicks remedy.....might give it a try, do they sell large jars
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 09:00 AM

Imagine going around smelling of vick all the time

I am afraid I don't agree with 'diets', they rarely work long term because people put the weight back on. I have seen this happen so often with family members.

If someone is overweight what is called for is a permanent lifestyle change which includes both the food you eat and the amount of exercise you take.

I lost half a stone last year and haven't put it back on because I have stuck to the new pattern of eating which I will now use for the rest of my life.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
How many fat people came out of the concentration camps?
How many healthy people came out of them?!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am afraid I don't agree with 'diets', they rarely work long term because people put the weight back on. I have seen this happen so often with family members.
Spot on

If someone is overweight what is called for is a permanent lifestyle change which includes both the food you eat and the amount of exercise you take.
And again

I lost half a stone last year and haven't put it back on because I have stuck to the new pattern of eating which I will now use for the rest of my life.
And that's the truth right there. The life change to simply understand what is healthy food and to choose to only eat healthy food is what turns around the situation. Nothing else will do that.

A key point worth noting in Meg's statement here is the amount. Just half a stone. By any silly dieters standard that would not seem much at all. They are typically wanting to lose many stones and want it off quickly, instant fix.

This is a fallacy. It takes years of abusing your own body, feeding it poor food and poisons to acquire the disgusting weight many have. It will similarly take years for your body to adjust and lose it again once you start to eat properly. That's how it should be.

I have no doubts at all that Meg's half a stone is gone, permanently gone.

Again the goal of every person should NOT be to lose weight

The goal must be to eat healthily and be a healthy person.

Once that life point is reached, everything else just falls into place.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The core of the problem in, I would say 90%, of the time, is that the aim is completely wrong which your statements confirm.

When a person says:

"I want to lose weight"

They have already placed themselves on the wrong path. Weight is merely a secondary issue, a by-product. That is why most people fail.

The correct desire that needs to be reached is:

"I want to eat good healthy food and drink"

Forget about weight. Simply decide that you want to eat healthily. When you make that decision and the associated changes (education, action) then your body will adjust its weight completely naturally.

It is a similar situation with health in general. The ill-informed person will say:

"I want to get rid of this cold"

and consequently will buy all manner of stupid snake oil pills, potions, lozenges and syrups.

What the person needs to do is ignore the cold and reach the mindset of:

"I want to be a healthy person"

which again, after education and action results in that person eating and drinking healthy things which create a strong immune system so that you don't actually get colds in the first place.

All of this is about mind set and having the epiphany to realise that you just want to be healthy. Slimming Clubs have no vested interested in you reaching that epiphany and that is why they do not properly educate their clients and instead spoon feed them silly diet systems and pre-designed recipes and menus. If they educated people properly there would be no reason for anyone to come back, and that . . . is not a business model that generates $millions.
Good reply, Realist You understand what I'm getting at.
I think what I should have done was put the words "want" and "need" in italics to highlight the relevant effort used by those who really do want to make the effort as opposed to those who think it will happen if they simply eat a bag of crisps instead of a plate of chips.

A good observation is what I see on the second day of January every year when I'm at the gym - their busiest day! - The "New Year fatties". I would say around 90% of them have terminated their memberships after six months as they just do not have the required mindset to succeed with their goals. Halfhearted effort doesn't pay dividends when you need to hit targets, whatever it is in life you are trying to succeed at, least of all losing weight.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

16-07-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
A good observation is what I see on the second day of January every year when I'm at the gym - their busiest day! - The "New Year fatties". I would say around 90% of them have terminated their memberships after six months as they just do not have the required mindset to succeed with their goals. Halfhearted effort doesn't pay dividends when you need to hit targets, whatever it is in life you are trying to succeed at, least of all losing weight.
There's a part of that whole situation that I find quite sad really. It conjures up a picture of overweight people lining up to embark on some kind of awful experience. It's like they've summoned up the willpower to volunteer for misery, for a period of eating stuff they don't want to eat, to be deprived of the crap they normally eat and so on.

The truth is eating healthy isn't anything like that. I don't really give food a second thought these days. I love what I eat. I enjoy it. But it's just food, a necessary fuel for my body. I'm not dieting. I'm not counting calories.
I just make meals using fresh ingredients. Various cuts of meat with a variety of vegetables, sometimes with spuds.
I make chilli regularly with plenty of garlic and spices. I make various pasta sauces again with plenty of vegetables (peppers, onions, mushrooms, courgettes, broccoli etc).
I make my own healthy bread.

I don't put weight on, I remain the same most of the time. I don't even weigh myself more than maybe twice a year.
Weight is not a concern. Eating healthy food is my concern. Avoiding foods laden with chemicals, sugars and poisons is my concern.

Life should be simple, enjoyable and fun.

Dieters are miserable, desperate, ill-informed and on the road to poor health.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 11:32 PM

Definitely !!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Definitely !!
Absolutely

Keeping it simple was the late OH's maxim. A sensible man (usually ) with a nice sense of humour.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
I've always understood that surgery is the only answer.
Skin doesn't remain 'elastic' for ever.
Yep, that's pretty much all you can do. Sit-ups, or "spot reducing", doesn't work. And you can exercise your bum off every single day and the skin will still be there. Skin-tightening creams are also a waste of money.

With exercise, there may be SOME tightening of the skin. But if you're very heavy to begin with and you lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time, I'm afraid skin removal is the only answer.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top