Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:23 PM

Re: What were your staple meals as you were growing up?

Stew and dumplings, bacon pudding, cabbage, carrots and rich gravy, Rabbit pie/rabbit stew/rabbit casserole (Rabbits were very plentiful in the fields around our place before mixamotosis), sausage & Mash, fish 'n chips, Sunday roasts with roast tatties, roast parsnips and carrots. Gammon steaks with pineapple slices, baked potato with cheese and corned beef slices. For 'puddings' Dragon would sometimes make a suet pudding (spotted dick) and custard or a plain suet pudding with syrup.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:51 PM

Like some replys you could tell what day of the week it was by what was served up. Simple fare that is considered unhealthy by todays standards. Roast Beef on Sundays, Bubble and Squeak Mondays, Liver and Onions, Mutton Toad in the Hole, Fish and chips, or Egg and chips, occasionally home made pies and soup.

Often stodgy puddings to ill out still hungry small mouths, Spotted Dick, Rhubarb, Apple, Gooseberry, pies or tarts.

Weekend had home baked teas scones, cakes etc.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone - very interesting

What I was looking for more than anything else, was seeing how much gluten played a part in your diets. From your posts, it certainly seems to have been less prevalent back then - no mention of pizza, spaghettis, pastas etc..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

What I was looking for more than anything else, was seeing how much gluten played a part in your diets. From your posts, it certainly seems to have been less prevalent back then - no mention of pizza, spaghettis, pastas etc..

A great many of us are too old for such things, - its only been in the last 30 - 40 odd years that Italian pasta has been prevalent Azz matey. Before that we had suet puddings!!!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

I don't think that they had invented gluten back in the fifties...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 10:33 PM

There are a few reminders on here for what Mum used to serve us.

Sunday roasts. No packet/chilled yorkies back then.
Then the next day would be cold meat and potatoes, or she'd make rissoles
She would make a large dish of fish in parsley sauce (which she couldn't remember doing, but I do remember her getting the sprigs of parsley and making the sauce, so I didn't imagine it!)
I remember her making meat suet puddings (the muslin cloth in saucepan)
She got a recipe for meatloaf from a friend of younger sister, and I still make it to this day
jam roly polys
Bread and butter pudding
Spotted dick (with an unspotted bit on the end for me)
Bread pudding (and my own piece without fruit)
Yes, tinned fruit and evap (loganberry juice was my favourite)
Jelly and blancmange (which I still enjoy)
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 10:38 PM

Yes I don't think we had pizzas back then! Blimey, did we miss out or what!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 10:43 PM

It was honest to goodness food in them thar days wasn't it?(smacks lips)
Where's a drool smiley when you want it?
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 06:40 AM

Giblet stew with carrots tatties and good solid dumplings, everything was a stew and everything had dumplings that's why they call us Devonians Devon Dumplings.....
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 05:28 PM

I was brought up by my Gran until I was five. She made everything fresh.
Breakfast a big bowl of porridge, and a slice of toast and honey.
I remember bubbling pots of potatoes, cabbage, turnip. Simmering mutton stews, joints of silverside, ham hock.
soups with barley or lentils and vegetables made from the stock.
Puddings were apple or rhubarb crumble or sponge with custard
oven baked rice pudding with stewed fruit
Tea time would be lorne or homemade sausages, stovies, or welsh rarebit all served with thick slices of pan loaf with butter.
with just made panscones or oven scones with butter and jam.

Later with my mother. she tended to support Birds eye and M and S.
Breakfast was cornflakes or rice krispies.
She had a very sweet tooth so pudding and cakes were always around.

At age 13 I became vegetarian and was until recently, for health I introduced sardines and salmon for omega 3 and calcium from the bones.
I still like lots of vegetables, avocados,oats, seeds, almonds, dried figs and dates, olive oil, quinoa.

A few things I miss from back then, Haggis, made by my uncle who was a butcher. Black pudding on a roll with brown sauce. Grans baked apple sponge served with a large dollop of Nestle cream. .....

Actually thinking about it, there seems to be a lot I miss, but then again I think it might just be my rose tinted glasses.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top