Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Re: The tinsel dodgers thread

I know people who can remember when Christmas Day wasn't even a holiday in Scotland - just a normal working day.

I think that was in the 50s.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
For those who enjoy Christmas, I am happy for you, but please try to understand that many of us don't enjoy it.
In the last 2 years I have abandoned, cards,decorations and even the traditional dinner.
I hate the money that is often wasted and think that, if you have the money to spare, why not use it to provide a little comfort to people living on the streets? For those who believe in God, wouldn't he prefer you to help somebody in need rather than party.... and for those who don't, consider yourselves lucky to get a few days off for something you feel is a pack of lies.
If I want to enjoy myself, I prefer to do it on a day of my choice, rather than when the Christian calendar says I must!

I'm not a party pooper, I have no problem with people celebrating Christmas and it's up to the individual how they spend their money/time. But I do resent other people telling me I should "make the effort". That is up to me, not anybody else.

I don't like it, never have, even as a kid.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 10:08 AM

I don't get why people celebrate it when they are not Christians; it would be like my observing Ramadan.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I don't get why people celebrate it when they are not Christians; it would be like my observing Ramadan.
I celebrate Saturnalia much more fun.

This was taken at last years barbie.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Errrrrrr what?????
I go AWOL for two days and Christmas is trashed.
I am a Turkey dodger - Does that count?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 01:50 PM

Hi

Christmas yes, great to see the kids, it is magical.

New Year?

Nope, not for me.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 06:20 PM

I wish all the tinsel dodgers the seasons greetings (Tinsel dodgers? sounds like an American baseball team)
To be perfectly honest I’m not mad about Christmas any year but why spoil it for others by having a long face all day, I will still don the stupid paper hat with the rest of the family, sing a raunchy song, tell a few mild jokes’ and generally make an eejit of meself, there’s nothing as bad as a grumpy old lad or lassie in the house on a Christmas day, besides it takes the look off the Christmas tree if you happen to be sitting near it.
The wife enjoys the cooking and when she eventually gets it all ready she pops upstairs and comes down wearing a santa suit, it’s a very special day for her, and it’s great to see her happy.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Aww, dear Rehab, you lovely old softie.

There's enough doom and gloom in the world today, so you enjoy your Christmas with your family and be happy.
Good on yer. x
Thanks Mups, it is special time for me and mine, I have spent many Christmases away from hearth and home and I doubt I will many more, so Christmas is a very special time
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Thanks Mups, it is special time for me and mine, I have spent many Christmases away from hearth and home and I doubt I will many more, so Christmas is a very special time

I understand.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:12 AM

Well, I just can't help myself - I go overboard at Christmas; spent hours setting up my decorations.

Thank goodness I kept my old Nokia USB charger for the tree lights.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 Christmas Display.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	4728  

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top