Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 12:26 AM

Downsizing yes or no?

Have you downsized from house to flat and been glad
or sorry that you moved?
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 01:02 AM

Re: Downsizing yes or no?

I downsized from a brand new two bedroom flat to a one bedroom 1950's bungalow which is tiny but I like it much better. The bungalow is half the floor space of the flat and has no storage which all the other residents complain about but it has forced me to get rid of lots of things I didn't really need but kept because I just had space to put it.

I'm just starting a project to do a make over so that the place suits mebetter and how I want to live rather than when I first moved in and having it as conventional home as others suggested.

I'm planning for my lounge to have seating for me, no one ever comes anyway, and a "technology area" where my computers, and radio/music will be and getting rid of the TV and have a proper table and chair to eat at rather than balancing a tray on my lap.

The bedroom will have a worktable for me to use for art, making things and space for projects etc. I'm changing the lighting to be adjustable rather than a bulb in the middle of the ceilings. I think that the right lighting is so important to create the feeling of the room. I also want to fill the place with plants in pots as I don't like gardening outdoors.

The kitchen is a galley style which is going to have a change round so its easier for me to cook meals rather than buying convenience foods.
I'm glad I downsized.
Its going to take me 11 days, starting tomorrow, to strip the place down to a point where I can start the makeover. I've been planning this since Christmas.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 01:08 AM

I rather like the sounds of that Mondays Child. Innovative and imaginatively using your space to suit your own customization and getting rid of redundant use of space.

It sounds fun. I bet you'll enjoy doing it.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:34 AM

Moved here in 1987.
We live in a big 5 bedroom Edwardian house, built at the turn of the century. Originally it was 3 bedrooms.
Then an extension provided an upstairs bathroom and beneath that a downstairs cloakroom.
Then later on, I believe in the 50s, another extension added two more bedrooms on top of a utility room and a garage. The result is L- shaped.
It's unusual and we love it.
Instead of downsizing we've upsized! Had the kitchen and utility room converted to a lovely big kitchen/garden room with bi-folding doors into the courtyard.
I threw out a huge amount of stuff and continue to do so.
When the family all come here there's plenty of room.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:40 AM

Hi Sarah I would love to downsize, I live alone and don't need a 3 bedroom house which is impossible to heat in the winter.

I have looked online at a few flats, many around here are in converted Georgian house and have a huge yearly maintenance fee to cover the upkeep of shared gardens and the outside. One was £7,000 pa which would take most of my pension.

I am not sure I would like a flat with lots of other people around wanting to be friendly, I enjoy my solitude.

Bungalows are not an option, they cost more than the sale of my house would raise , tiny cottages are out too, they are 'desirable' and that makes them expensive . So I am looking for a small 1/2 bedroom semi and there are very few of those around.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:46 AM

I lived in a five bedroomed five bathrooms house, we downsized to a pretty two bedrooms property. Only thing i miss is the garden, oh and the three little boys who lived next door
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Meg i lived on a flat for six months when i had a house renovated, i hated it. Im glad I had that experience though because i realise as i get older i will nevet downsize to a flat. I know its each to their own but i missed having my own front door and outside space.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Meg i lived on a flat for six months when i had a house renovated, i hated it. Im glad I had that experience though because i realise as i get older i will nevet downsize to a flat. I know its each to their own but i missed having my own front door and outside space.
Summer I think a flat is something to consider when I am on my last legs, not quite there yet
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I lived in a five bedroomed five bathrooms house, we downsized to a pretty two bedrooms property. Only thing i miss is the garden, oh and the three little boys who lived next door
That sounds nice summer
I can quite see me wanting to downsize at some point, don't think I'd want to rattle around here all on my own.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

03-01-2018, 10:59 AM

I think i would look for a small bungalow like MondaysChild, that sounds perfect to me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top