Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Making kindle covers out of hard back books

This is becoming quite popular it seems but although I am a kindle convert I hate seeing hard back books destroyed to make into a cover for one.

I have made my own cover for fraction of the price as those you can buy but out of fabric and kapok stuffing not out of something that IMO should be treasured for what it is.

Is it me or is destroying books a criminal act ?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Re: Making kindle covers out of hard back books

What if it's a Rolf Harris book!
I threw two of those out last year, couldn't bring myself to take them to Scope.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 12:35 PM

His would be best used as dartboards.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Come to think of it it could be a good use for hard back books whose spines have gone or they're too badly damaged.

Libraries were getting incredibly fussy years back. They'd started checking the returned books ( before they installed the self-serve machines) ... for damage caused by the last user and apparently if they spotted dried blood it was consigned to the reserve library. Or so the handsome librarian told me though he did wink at me when he did.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
This is becoming quite popular it seems but although I am a kindle convert I hate seeing hard back books destroyed to make into a cover for one.

I have made my own cover for fraction of the price as those you can buy but out of fabric and kapok stuffing not out of something that IMO should be treasured for what it is.

I agree with you, Julie. There seems to be a craze at the moment for making words by folding the pages of books - I don't like that either.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
What if it's a Rolf Harris book!
I threw two of those out last year, couldn't bring myself to take them to Scope.
I'd protect those too, there is something incredibly visceral about damaging any books for me. I'm not saying I'd necessarily want to read everything but to lose a book, any book it just hurts inside. I find films where they show burning of books quite traumatic I'd almost rather see a dead body than a book being destroyed.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Why would anyone make a Kindle cover out of a hard backed book? We have soft rubber ones on our Kindles.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

12-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Sounds like one of those daft fads ... I prefer proper books myself though can't deny the convenience of a Kindle.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Sounds like one of those daft fads ... I prefer proper books myself though can't deny the convenience of a Kindle.
I am with you on that one, Morti, can't beat the real thing!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2018, 12:03 AM

I have both books and a kindle, but only because I was running out of space for books.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top