Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 07:21 PM

Re: YES: My favourite band. Analysis, thoughts about Yes or/& any derivative

I also had Patrick Moraz, The Story of I very heavily influenced by Brazilian music. I wil,look forward to your Squire peace especially as ive not heard hi second and final solo album.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 03:20 AM

Great thread.
When I was in my mid teens, my parents used to go away every weekend , so being great kids, that we were, we partied.
Since I had two older brothers, much of my musical influences came from them and Yes was one of my brothers favourite bands. He wore their t-shirts, had their posters on his bedroom walls, went to their concerts and even bought a Rickenbacker bass guitar so he could play like Chris Squire. I also loved this band but I preferred the earlier stuff; fragile, close to the edge, the yes album , yessongs, up until ‘going for the one. ‘After that they just weren’t the same. ‘Owner of a lonely heart’ seemed so commercialized compared to their earlier stuff. ( just my opinion)
Yes had music you could drift away to and get lost in. To the point; it was great stoner music. The talent these musicians had was nothing short of genius and I was fortunate enough to have seen them three times. All three times were with my brother. It was fun and memorable.

Some of my favourite songs were :I’ve seen all good people, Long Distance Runaround, Starship Trouper, And You & I, Yours is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change, Wonderous Stories. These extremely talented musicians told such captivating stories through their music and their ability to harmonious was magical to say the least. Being a teenager was tough enough but listening to YES gave me the ability to drift away and get lost for a while. Listening to music I loved became a reliable outlet.

I also really appreciated their artwork. It was CRAZY good. The timeframe I’m referring to was back in the mid seventies when having vans with elaborate murals was super cool. Well my neighbours boyfriend had the coolest van. It was covered with YES murals.

I’ve also had the privilege of being with friends who loved YES. One day we took a bunch of amplifiers and blasted yes at an old abandoned airport. Talk about an awesome party. It was a BLAST!!!
We had sooo much fun.

So yes I AM a BIG yes fan. Every time I hear a YES song it reminds me of my brother whom I lost in 1979.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 03:39 AM

Anybody like the Trevor Rabin period, 1983 onwards taking in the 90125 album and it's monster song Owner Of A Lonely Heart? I love that record, and the previous Tormato with it's Trevor Horn vocals was pretty decent as well.

The 1994 album Talk had one of Trevor Rabin's most fantastic guitar parts on it. This song is 'I Am Waiting' and is amazing:

Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Great thread.
When I was in my mid teens, my parents used to go away every weekend , so being great kids, that we were, we partied.
Since I had two older brothers, much of my musical influences came from them and Yes was one of my brothers favourite bands. He wore their t-shirts, had their posters on his bedroom walls, went to their concerts and even bought a Rickenbacker bass guitar so he could play like Chris Squire. I also loved this band but I preferred the earlier stuff; fragile, close to the edge, the yes album , yessongs, up until ‘going for the one. ‘After that they just weren’t the same. ‘Owner of a lonely heart’ seemed so commercialized compared to their earlier stuff. ( just my opinion)

Thanks for sharing, Nikki! I agree with you about the great era. I never stopped loving them but they were not as they were during my fave time periods of 68-72 and 76.
Yes had music you could drift away to and get lost in. To the point; it was great stoner music. The talent these musicians had was nothing short of genius and I was fortunate enough to have seen them three times. All three times were with my brother. It was fun and memorable.

Awesome memories! Really neat!

Some of my favourite songs were :I’ve seen all good people, Long Distance Runaround, Starship Trouper, And You & I, Yours is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change, Wonderous Stories. These extremely talented musicians told such captivating stories through their music and their ability to harmonious was magical to say the least. Being a teenager was tough enough but listening to YES gave me the ability to drift away and get lost for a while. Listening to music I loved became a reliable outlet.

I also really appreciated their artwork. It was CRAZY good. The timeframe I’m referring to was back in the mid seventies when having vans with elaborate murals was super cool. Well my neighbours boyfriend had the coolest van. It was covered with YES murals.

Roger Dean? Oh, please! The best!
Like picking up an adventure coffee table book!

I’ve also had the privilege of being with friends who loved YES. One day we took a bunch of amplifiers and blasted yes at an old abandoned airport. Talk about an awesome party. It was a BLAST!!!
We had sooo much fun.
lol I remember that story- good stuff!

So yes I AM a BIG yes fan. Every time I hear a YES song it reminds me of my brother whom I lost in 1979.
Thanks a lot, Nikki! Appreciate the contribution.
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Anybody like the Trevor Rabin period, 1983 onwards taking in the 90125 album and it's monster song Owner Of A Lonely Heart? I love that record, and the previous Tormato with it's Trevor Horn vocals was pretty decent as well.

The 1994 album Talk had one of Trevor Rabin's most fantastic guitar parts on it. This song is 'I Am Waiting' and is amazing:

I totally agree that Rabin is a virtuoso multi-instrumentalist and he single handedly gave them a new lease on life with Owner, etc. But I do not equate virtuosity with soul and feel and inventiveness. Does that make sense? That is why I have always loved Peter Banks, the original. Certainly not in the same league as Trevor or Steve but all I can say is... when I listen to the BBC version of Sweet Dreams (fave Yes song EVER!) and Pete's lead. Wow. It was simple but very tasty. The lead for Astral Traveller (Mind blowing) He had a harder edge and was more Who influenced. Check out The Lost Broadcasts. They have it for free on YT. I bought it

I do like Final Eyes and a few others but it really was a different band after July 1972.

I still haven't taken the time to figure out You tube posting but check out Sweet Dreams, BBC and Sweet dreams original West German pressing.
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA

15-03-2018, 04:58 AM

Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA

15-03-2018, 05:06 AM

Well, now I have done it.// Got the black screen of death! I posted from YT and the bloody vid went black! Can you see it?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Àmericano ->
I totally agree that Rabin is a virtuoso multi-instrumentalist and he single handedly gave them a new lease on life with Owner, etc. But I do not equate virtuosity with soul and feel and inventiveness. Does that make sense? That is why I have always loved Peter Banks, the original. Certainly not in the same league as Trevor or Steve but all I can say is... when I listen to the BBC version of Sweet Dreams (fave Yes song EVER!) and Pete's lead. Wow. It was simple but very tasty. The lead for Astral Traveller (Mind blowing) He had a harder edge and was more Who influenced. Check out The Lost Broadcasts. They have it for free on YT. I bought it

I do like Final Eyes and a few others but it really was a different band after July 1972.

I still haven't taken the time to figure out You tube posting but check out Sweet Dreams, BBC and Sweet dreams original West German pressing.
I agree completely, Bobby, about the band's ever-changing line-up and how it affects their 'sound'. The 80's period had to find a niche with the times and therefore Trevor Rabin's heavier guitar sound was more in vogue with that 80's sound - same with the crashing drums and so on. Having said that, Jon Anderson doesn't change. His soaring vocals always have the same sublime range.
But put Steve Howe against Rabin and they are a world apart. They are both extremely talented virtuosos in their own right but are worlds apart with their sound - although you can always tell it's Yes. That's the mark of a great band.

I'm a little young to remember the very early days with Peter banks but I have the albums anyway and like them a lot.

And a note about Roger Dean. His designs are wonderful and in a class and style of their own. Even Storm Thorgeson and Hipgnosis didn't have those dreamy landscape images. I love looking at album artwork and it's one of those things you just cannot get with, er, 'streaming' can you lol!
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA

15-03-2018, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I agree completely, Bobby, about the band's ever-changing line-up and how it affects their 'sound'. The 80's period had to find a niche with the times and therefore Trevor Rabin's heavier guitar sound was more in vogue with that 80's sound - same with the crashing drums and so on. Having said that, Jon Anderson doesn't change. His soaring vocals always have the same sublime range.
But put Steve Howe against Rabin and they are a world apart. They are both extremely talented virtuosos in their own right but are worlds apart with their sound - although you can always tell it's Yes. That's the mark of a great band.

I'm a little young to remember the very early days with Peter banks but I have the albums anyway and like them a lot.
I appreciate your post!
Dude, I am having issues posting YT. I followed directions and now have a black screen of death. Ok. Will have to ask Forum Help for boneheads again tomorrow! lol
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-03-2018, 05:40 AM

I get that black screen at work but only because the killjoy IT boffins block YouTube. I can post vids but I can't see them lol! That's why I'm always catching up later at home instead.
Can you believe that they actually expect me to be working at work of all places?!

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top