Join for free
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 03:01 PM

Crown Green Bowling

I was looking for something I could manage on a Sunday {when it stops raining} and I thought of having a go at crown green bowling.
Anybody else here playing it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Re: Crown Green Bowling

Hi Arthur my Brother in Law plays and loves it.
It gets him out of the house and into the fresh air and provides him with good company.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Never played that but do like the game of Boules, we used to play here when the pub was open and also they played Indoor bowls.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 06:44 PM

How I got interested was one day I hadn't a partner for table tennis, so I grabbed the bowls and had a game on the mat in the gym, and I liked it. So today I went to the sports shop and measured some new ones up, but I didn't buy any when I knew the price was £75 a pair plus a jack at £34.
So I am looking on Ebay for a decent pair to my size of 2-10 I think that is pounds and ounces.
All I want now is for the weather to change to get to the greens, which are only half a mile away.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2012, 07:17 AM

Arthur do you mean Crown Green bowling or Lawn bowls, there is a big difference.

Lawn bowls to me is boring as it is just a matter of learning the green, once you have done that it is simple. Crown green bowling is something of a challenge as the name suggests the whole green slopes from the centre downwards to the edges and just being a few degrees out you bowl can finish up quite a long way from the jack.

I loved playing it when I was younger and manage to get to the News of the Worlds under sixteens challenge in Lytham st Annes one year.

I hope that you find it challenging but dont expect it to be a relaxing past time.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top