Join for free
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Believe it or not

Events that have been discontinued from the Olympic programme include tandem cycling, rope climbing, the standing high jump {world record. 1.65m, standing long jump {world record.3.47m}, the tug of war, the 60m underwater swim and live pigeon shooting.
Sports that have lost place at the Games include polo,baseball,croquet,lacrosse and cricket.
After long absences, both golf and rugby union will return to the Olympic competition in 2016.
[Taken from the Radio Times]
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Re: Believe it or not

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Events that have been discontinued from the Olympic programme include tandem cycling, rope climbing, the standing high jump {world record. 1.65m, standing long jump {world record.3.47m}, the tug of war, the 60m underwater swim and live pigeon shooting.
Sports that have lost place at the Games include polo,baseball,croquet,lacrosse and cricket.
After long absences, both golf and rugby union will return to the Olympic competition in 2016.
[Taken from the Radio Times]
I'd ask why but you never get a straight answer do you??
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2012, 08:11 PM

Hey I wouldn't mind the tug-of-war ... all those beefy, nicely muscled men ... whew.

The mind boggles though at the standing high jump? How the heck did they manage that one? On a pogo stick?
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2012, 08:47 PM

I bet I'd win the standing and junping up and down in a temper one.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2012, 11:22 PM

I would win the crouching down and hiding under a bench one.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 02:07 AM

I remember watching tandem cycling from the Mexico City
Olympics in 1968 and it was hugely entertaining.
Some of the "sports" they have included today are ridiculous such as beach volleyball and trampoline.
As far as I'm concerned any event that can't be measured or quantified has no business in the Olympics.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top