Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 09:34 PM

English Language

I have a question, but first of all - apologies to our American posters!

I keep coming across some posters, who use the word 'gotten' instead of 'got' (as far as I am aware they are English as their location gives this side of the pond).

No offence intended, just curious. Have you American relations, perhaps lived in America or maybe watch a lot of American TV programmes?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 10:47 PM

Re: English Language

Gotten is still used in some parts of Britain especially up here in the north as is `getten` a Yorkshire vernacular word as in the expression `hast a getten a cold?' to someone who is feeling ill.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 12:29 AM

I don't like the word, 'gotten'! To me, it's just not a nice sounding word!

Lots of American words and sayings have crept into the English language over the years.
I don't like when they say, 'Pick up' or 'They're not picking up', when someone is trying to contact someone by phone and they're not answering!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I don't like the word, 'gotten'! To me, it's just not a nice sounding word!

Lots of American words and sayings have crept into the English language over the years.
I don't like when they say, 'Pick up' or 'They're not picking up', when someone is trying to contact someone by phone and they're not answering!
Gotten is a very tinny word isn't it?

But English is a living language and changes all the time - think Butt for bum, ass for arse (this is getting very anal), truck, elevator (including ground floor being first floor), guys, litter - the list goes on, we can live with them.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 03:27 AM

Increasing numbers of public speakers (politicians, newsreaders, presenters) are discarding formal attire (especially ties) and adopting informal speech ("gunna", "wonna", etc) which annoys me as much as those who use "would of", "could of", "should of" or, worst of all, "axe" .....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 05:33 AM

As an American and former educator, no offense (notice the "s") taken. In fact, I am thrilled about this thread and hope you hold on to your grammar with all your might! I am already creating a list of words that I have encountered here that are either different than ours or are simply charming.

While language always changes, there are some changes that cause me to cringe. A perfect example is that while it has always been grammatically correc to say, "I was given the candy free," it has now become popular in print and media to say, "I was given the candy for free." Aaaaagh !

While you are correct that "gotten" is the most common use of the past participle "get" here (He had gotten his coat when it began to rain), it evolved in the same way "forget" has here (He had forgotten his coat.") Just curious, but do you all prefer to say, "He had forgot his coat?" According to Grammarist, the past participle " had/have gotten" actually began in England, it just lost favor in the eighteenth century, while enduring here. Isn't it interesting?

Anyhow, you fight the good fight, and know that most educators here are waving the grammar flag alongside you! (Except, or course, when it comes to "gotten" and "forgotten" ) .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 05:47 AM

Bruce, I loved your link!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 06:04 AM

Why do Americans insert a "d" into congratulations? Very odd.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

02-08-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Why do Americans insert a "d" into congratulations? Very odd.
I used to teach my students that I would not allow them to graduate if they ever congradulated anyone. It's appalling!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 08:01 AM

This is interesting. Following on from 'gotten', the phrases that amuse me are 'What do you got?' and 'I don't got it.'

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top