Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 06:39 PM

Re: Boris now Has to Send A Letter.

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that Boris is very confident that, at least, one of the EU countries will toss in a veto.

Doesn't look like Ireland, but you could guess at others.

Also IDS just said, on TV, that the EU may well say "Sorry - No Extension"

That would sort it.
Wouldn't it be the final humiliation for our politicians, if EU did just that copying Mrs Thatcher's 'no, no, no.' No extension, no deal, no remain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11598879

In her 2002 book, Statecraft, she suggested the European single currency was an attempt to create a "European super state" and would fail "economically, politically and socially".

She called for a "fundamental re-negotiation" of Britain's links with the EU, stopping short of calling for withdrawal but nevertheless suggesting that the UK should pull out of common agricultural, fisheries, foreign and defence policies.

"Most of the problems the world has faced have come from mainland Europe," she wrote. "And the solutions from outside it."
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thanks for that Meg. It is a thought.

I wonder what will happen tonight. Will he? Won't he?
SG I am sure BJ will send the letter probably at 10:55PM and as he stipulated today he will not be 'negotiating' an extension.

My guess is the letter will say something like 'I enclose a copy of a letter I have been instructed by the court to make available to you''. Thank you.

The EU are watching our every move, they are aware of the requested letter , BJ just needs to send it with a minimum of interaction so he can't be accused of trying to obstruct the court.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
SG I am sure BJ will send the letter probably at 10:55PM and as he stipulated today he will not be 'negotiating' an extension.

My guess is the letter will say something like 'I enclose a copy of a letter I have been instructed by the court to make available to you''. Thank you.

The EU are watching our every move, they are aware of the requested letter , BJ just needs to send it with a minimum of interaction so he can't be accused of trying to obstruct the court.
From what i read when the media got their hooks into the Benn Bill is that the bill dictates, line by line how the letter is to be transcribed. I do believe Boris will accompany the letter with a header with words to the effect you've mentioned Meg.

How a political document is worded is extremely important. Anyone remember the controversial issue surrounding the wording of getting the UK to sign up to the Lisbon Treaty, something Tony Blair started with Gordon Brown ending, the issue resolved around the wording of the political documents, in that opposition parties said such a decision should be made by the public in the form of a referendum because the Lisbon Treaty effectively handed UK sovereignty over to the EU (Brussels) and such a huge decision should not be taken by the presiding PM but what happened is between the pair of them Blair and Brown, the document was worded in such a precise legal manner so that the decision to sign the treaty could be a private decision made by the PM and not a constitutional decision (meaning a referendum). The rest they say is history.

I think Boris is going to do much the same, word part of the document as instructed to by the Benn Bill but then add his own touch to it avoiding the issue of him personally asking for a delay.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 08:03 PM

Boris can send a letter and request an extension.

The public will forgive him that.

He must , however ,offer the EU a valid reason for them to extend. The EU may not extend without that reason.

I can't think of a good reason to extend.

Also, he is not obliged by the letter to enter into negotiations with the EU pertaining to the details of the extension.

Therefore I don't see how an extension can be agreed !
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 08:07 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...exit-vote.html
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

19-10-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
From what i read when the media got their hooks into the Benn Bill is that the bill dictates, line by line how the letter is to be transcribed. I do believe Boris will accompany the letter with a header with words to the effect you've mentioned Meg.

How a political document is worded is extremely important. Anyone remember the controversial issue surrounding the wording of getting the UK to sign up to the Lisbon Treaty, something Tony Blair started with Gordon Brown ending, the issue resolved around the wording of the political documents, in that opposition parties said such a decision should be made by the public in the form of a referendum because the Lisbon Treaty effectively handed UK sovereignty over to the EU (Brussels) and such a huge decision should not be taken by the presiding PM but what happened is between the pair of them Blair and Brown, the document was worded in such a precise legal manner so that the decision to sign the treaty could be a private decision made by the PM and not a constitutional decision (meaning a referendum). The rest they say is history.

I think Boris is going to do much the same, word part of the document as instructed to by the Benn Bill but then add his own touch to it avoiding the issue of him personally asking for a delay.
Ditto
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Parliament at present is like a Shakespeare Play
A Den of intrigue and subterfuge, and back stabbing
and MP's with knives out waiting to pounce.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Dear Mr President,

The UK Parliament has passed the European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 2) Act 2019. Its provisions now require Her Majesty’s Government to seek an extension of the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty, currently due to expire at 11.00pm GMT on 31 October 2019, until 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020.

I am writing therefore to inform the European Council that the United Kingdom is seeking a further extension to the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty. The United Kingdom proposes that this period should end at 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020. If the parties are able to ratify before this date, the Government proposes that the period should be terminated early.

Yours sincerely,

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...acted/data.htm
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 09:02 PM

I wonder how it would go down if every one of us wrote a letter asking the EU to release us from their Prison like environment.

Something along the lines of :-

Dear ....,

We don't want to part of the EU any longer.

We want to leave.

signed,

the UK Millions.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I wonder how it would go down if every one of us wrote a letter asking the EU to release us from their Prison like environment.

Something along the lines of :-

Dear ....,

We don't want to part of the EU any longer.

We want to leave.

signed,

the UK Millions.

UK post will be glad of the extra sale of a little over 10 mln poststamps.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top