Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 07:33 PM

Is the Honours system is a farce?

I think that it is and I have thought so for many years, but today's crop really takes the biscuit. Honours are now just dished out like sweeties to any celebrity for the thinnest of reasons. The honours themselves are now so common that they are devalued and debased so that they no longer have any merit, and in reality they are just a sop by the government to associate themselves with mostly popular figures (and even sometimes as a reward for failure as in the case of the ex head of the Financial Services Authority)....

Pathetic....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Re: Is the Honours system is a farce?

The NEW YEARs Honours List “reflects and pays tribute to outstanding achievement and service right across the community"............apparently.

I will take a look at the list, out of curiosity and to see if I have heard of any of the recipients.
It's a good thing to salute worthy individuals, I have no idea what the awards are in order of merit or what the implications and privileges are.

BBL after I've googled.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 10:07 PM

There are many people who work quietly for the good of others. They keep their head down and don't crow about it so they are never noticed . These are the ones who deserve recognition but they wouldn't want it anyway.

So I suppose in some ways yes the honours system it is a bit of a farce.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 10:44 PM

It's like everything else in this day and age..the 'real' people who deserve honours don't get them.
There are some ridiculous ones as usual. I've never understood why actors or footballers get honours.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 08:01 AM

Honours in my opinion should only be given to people who have performed beyond the call of duty and not for something that they have been paid for doing.

Volunteers who do things to help others and receive no re-numeration deserve being honoured.

Congratulations to Ken Livingstone for turning down a CBE saying politicians should not get honours.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 09:04 AM

I agree that a country's honours should be bestowed only in circumstances of exceptional service to the country or to your fellow man, and not just for being popular or successful in your chosen field. To dish out gongs to young olympians is beyond parody.... wasn't winning the medal the reward? And don't you think just awarding the winners was discrimination against the losers? Why not just give everybody one to save any upset..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I agree that a country's honours should be bestowed only in circumstances of exceptional service to the country or to your fellow man, and not just for being popular or successful in your chosen field. To dish out gongs to young olympians is beyond parody.... wasn't winning the medal the reward? And don't you think just awarding the winners was discrimination against the losers? Why not just give everybody one to save any upset..
Too late Barry, all those disabled Para-olympians who have in their eyes 'lost out' are furious that they are yet again being overlooked and ignored. Haven't seen the full list yet, but I just bet some Civil Service panjandrums have been bumped into the 'Lords' or given some title to add to the letters on their office door, irrespective of whether they've actually earned it!!!

I too applaud Ken Livingstone for turning down his 'gong' - a man of principle!!!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 12:03 PM

I had a boss once who said that the letters stood for: OBE = Other Buggers Effort, MBE = My Bloody Effort, and CBE = Committee's Bloody Effort. Judging by that criteria then Wiggins' should surely be an MBE?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 01:01 PM

DM, there's an honour entitled the Order of St:Michael & St: George. There are various ranks to this order up to Knight Commander (KCMG) or otherwise known as: "Kindly call me God".
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 02:58 PM

Ridiculous,didnt the Olympians get medals for effort which ever brand they were.Footballers and actors get paid.I think its something to do with the government having a bit of a bad time and they wont get in with an election either so its a bribe really.Good old Ken giving his back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top