Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 10:30 AM

The Government is destroying this country

Hardly a day goes by when there is not some government announcement, proposal for this tax or this benefit or this rule or policy.

Who are they kidding?
First we have the 50% tax rate for those on high incomes. This was announced and it was FAIR!
Then we had the reduction of this to 45%, which was announced and was NOT FAIR.
Then we had the child benefit being withdrawn from those earning more than £50,000 which is FAIR.
But effectively takes back to 5% tax cut!
Now we have the new benefit for working people for childcare costs. Giving the money back again.

Then we have the benefit “cuts” which basically only kick in after inflation and will only be at most £250 a year in 2015 even for the most worse off. Less than £5 a week! A non-policy.

Today it is the winter fuel allowance. Has this increased with inflation? Has this increased to reflect the energy price rises? No it has not. So it is being slowly cut in any case.

But politicians must talk about something, every day every week. For heaven’s sake Cameron is even on Twitter!

Do they think that if they are not meddling with this or that everyday, that the British public will say at the next election, “I am not voting for them they did nothing”

It is better to do nothing than do something, which is wrong making a bad situation even worse.
Worse still doing something one day, then negating the change and reasons for doing it with something new a few weeks later.

The only thing messing up this once great country is Governments. Blue Red or Yellow they are all bad. They meddle they fiddle and they cheat.

How many times has the announced policy been reversed when it has been publicly ridiculed by everyone. How much money is wasted on a daily basis by publicity hungry politicians trying to get mentioned on TV?

I am still waiting for the announcement that MP’s salaries and expenses are being cut !
MrsD
midlands uk
MrsD is female  MrsD has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Re: The Government is destroying this country

Hear Hear .! I read on the internet yesterday , we oldie dont need to worry about losing Free Prescription,bus pass, Fuel allowance and TV licences they will give us plenty of warning !! 2015 was mentioned .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 11:06 AM

I am no lover of the Tories and have never voted for them in my life but.........it's a fact of life that this country, along with many others, has been living above it's income - indisputable. The only bone of contention is how best to rectify the situation.The coalition belives that cut-backs are the answer whereas the Labour party believes that stimulating the economy is the answer. Only time will tell whether the coalition is right unless the Labour party is voted in at the next election and they have the opportunity to try out their solution. Time will tell.
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Dont be fooled about so called cut backs and deficits.
It is not REAL MONEY!
The ten pound note is not worth ten pounds. It is just printed paper. It is not backed up by anything tangible like Gold in the Bank of England vaults.

The government has been "printing money" aka Quantitative Easing and as a result devaluing the pound against other currencies. This is why food imports cost more than the official inflation rate suggests.

Where is this 'extra' money. It has been used to buy back government bonds (the national debt). So we could make the national debt disappear completely by buying back all the bonds. Simples!

In the US the monthly QE will mean US money supply will be increased tio twice that of 2007 by October this year. Think of that, US dollar is worth 50% less that in was six years ago. It may not be noticed as every other country is doing the same!

What is happening is that your cash ISAs are being devalued and stolen (in real terms, we live in a real world) by BoE policies endorsed by the government.

So if we need to raise money why not just print some more, but this time use it for the NHS, building schools, homes and generally improving the counrty for the people that live here, rather than taking everything away and taxing everything more.

The motivation is to keep everyone in poor and need, so they have to keep on working to keep the capitalist machine wheels turning. If everyone was a millionaire no one would work.

Someone once told me that slavery never died. Instead of working fro nothing modern slavery is working to pay back debts to the rich 1%. A mortgage being an example.

Make no mistake those in power don't want you to wake up and see this. Biased news reports ensure you dont.
Read a quality paper each day.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 12:45 PM

Hi again Phil, I don't think that you live in the same world as me. You would have us think that all is gloom and doom but my life is not like that. My standard of living is far, far higher than that of my parents and continues to be so today. From what others on this site say I guess the same applies to most of us. Yes, poverty and hardship does exist but, in MOST cases, that does not mean that they are starving and living rough. We, in general, are having to tighten our belts slightly but it is essential to do so to get the nation's finances back on track. Another factor affecting us is the shift in world-wide economic power from the west to the east. We will have to see how big an impact this will have on us. Finally Phil, I suggest you cheer up and enjoy what benefits you do have.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi again Phil, I don't think that you live in the same world as me. You would have us think that all is gloom and doom but my life is not like that. My standard of living is far, far higher than that of my parents and continues to be so today. From what others on this site say I guess the same applies to most of us. Yes, poverty and hardship does exist but, in MOST cases, that does not mean that they are starving and living rough. We, in general, are having to tighten our belts slightly but it is essential to do so to get the nation's finances back on track. Another factor affecting us is the shift in world-wide economic power from the west to the east. We will have to see how big an impact this will have on us. Finally Phil, I suggest you cheer up and enjoy what benefits you do have.
Alan I agree I don't think there are many people in this country today who know what real poverty is.

My grandmother's generation was terrified of the prospect of the workhouse and not having enough money to pay for a doctor or food to put on the table.

I grew up in a place where no one had anything, you didn't lock your door because there was nothing to take. What people had they shared that might be vegetables from an allotment, home made jams and pickles, woollens for a new baby made from unpicked garment.

I think there is a lot of greed and jealousy about these days instead of people making the best of what they have and enjoying the things which don't cost anything.

As long as there are still kind hearted generous people around this country will never be destroyed .
Elbee
Chichester

09-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Just because it is "better" than your parents had doesn't make it great!
When you start from a low base a 100% improvement is still not good. We may not have workhouses but we have foodbanks. QED!
My Dad was bombed and my Mum machine gunned on her way back from school. Let's face it today's children only have peadophiles to worry about!

Yes I know we dont have mill owners and people living in back to backs (actually we do if you go around a new housing site but that's another matter) but waht you have is being eroded by this government and policy

When you are all queueing for three hours to buy bread at £1000 a loaf in a year or two, you will see how right I am, but then it will be too late to do anything about it.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

09-01-2013, 03:00 PM

£1000 for a loaf of bread !!! I don't see any point in my continuing this discussion.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 05:17 PM

In 1969/70 my FIL said I've been charged 1/3d for a loaf (about 6p) how much is one now £1.50 for the same brand. A friends father said we'll be taking money in a wheelbarrow to buy a lof of bread soon, funny it's always bread. I probably agree with a lot Elbee says but I've never been interested in politics and ranting and raving won't make me interested, but explaining what is meant could, (QED??) don't shout at me pal, explain in words of one syllable if you can't do that then you should be a politician cos they talk crap too.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2013, 01:14 AM

Gordon Brown sold the gold so why whine at this lot?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top