Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 04:00 PM

Re: Humans - A Plague on Earth!

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Whilst we today might be able to enjoy our days in relative peace and prosperity, many parts of the world are unable to do the same and I doubt that our future generations will have it as easy as we and our predescesors in the Western world have had things. Other countries are waking up and are making demands on resources and we can no longer simply take what we want from other countries. To my mind human beings are the biggest threat to the future of the world - Everywhere we go we have taken, taken, taken - destroyed or left a mess and moved on with little thought about what we are doing or the future.
Human beings may be physically weak, but because of the way our brains developed as we evolved, I believe, we are the most dangerous species on this planet and yes to my way of thinking we have become a plague. If we don't start to seriously do something to remedy the damage we are doing, natural forces and laws will do it for us. I would not mind one bit if human beings were eventually wiped off the face of the earth - We deserve it. Wise guardians we are not. As a species we are generally greedy, selfish, violent and intolerant - we can't help ourselves (and I include myself in this description).
As long as there is no political will to reverse the destruction of our planet, little will be done to halt it's decline.
The pursuit of wealth and power by the few are this planets plague, not humans as a species.

The latest step to the earths disruption is Fracking, possibly.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Willow's opinions on pets and their effect on the planet and on starvation in third world countries are the daftest things I have ever seen written on any forum ever
Pet food is a by product of human consumption. I have no idea why she brands pet owners as sick and evil.
Pet owners are not responsible for starvation in third world countries and I would imagine lots of pet owners give to charities to support the starving.
Oh well there are are always those with off the wall ideas.
Nor have I Mesco.

Actually as it happens I don't give to charities for people in Africa etc for my own reasons.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 04:35 PM

Please note some posts have been moved here to keep the thread on topic
Thank you.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=11082
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
As long as there is no political will to reverse the destruction of our planet, little will be done to halt it's decline.
The pursuit of wealth and power by the few are this planets plague, not humans as a species.

The latest step to the earths disruption is Fracking, possibly.
I think many of us at some time want to accumulate wealth and many pursue power and success mesco m - It's probably the lack of opportunity that holds back most of us. In a way I suppose its an extension of our drive for survival. The "few" politicians are supposed to represent the masses and the masses rely on the spin-offf from powerful people. Even if we are manipulated by them we benefit from their endeavours. So I don't think it is just a matter of the few - we are all at it - we are all consumers.

I don't think fracking is a newly discovered process. They go far deeper now and it is more sophisticated, therefore, potentially more dangerous in modern days, but there are records of fracking as as early as the late 1800's and in the 1950's it was not an unusual means of extraction, particularly in the USA and Russia. I don't know a lot about the process and there is no doubt it has consequences, but I doubt it will stop us using this method of getting at the resources we have all come to demand and depend on.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 06:13 PM

As a species we are generally greedy, selfish, violent and intolerant
Pretty much like any other sentient species then!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 06:19 PM

The Fracking process has already caused minor earthquakes in Blackpool but as you say they will carry on regardless.

And while some countries are doing their best to have less of an impact, others will forge ahead regardless.
We are only in a position to do our tiny bit.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I agree MickB - but we are "supposed" to be of superior intelligence and "different" from other species - operating on a higher plane with more sophisticated brains - more choice and control over what we do; therefore, as the dominant species, we hold the power and the influence and the real responsibility for what we do.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 06:37 PM

I think many of us at some time want to accumulate wealth and many pursue power and success mesco m - It's probably the lack of opportunity that holds back most of us. In a way I suppose its an extension of our drive for survival. The "few" politicians are supposed to represent the masses and the masses rely on the spin-offf from powerful people. Even if we are manipulated by them we benefit from their endeavours. So I don't think it is just a matter of the few - we are all at it - we are all consumers.

I don't think fracking is a newly discovered process. They go far deeper now and it is more sophisticated, therefore, potentially more dangerous in modern days, but there are records of fracking as as early as the late 1800's and in the 1950's it was not an unusual means of extraction, particularly in the USA and Russia. I don't know a lot about the process and there is no doubt it has consequences, but I doubt it will stop us using this method of getting at the resources we have all come to demand and depend on.
You're right it won't stop it cos a Canadian company won permission in 2009 to start fracking about 2 miles from where I live, it was suspended in 2011 after it was suspected to have caused earth tremours in Blackpool, which is about 50 miles away, but is due to restart again. This is on a peat moss too and people wonder why I'm not interested in the welfare of Africa, I'm too busy watching my own area being destroyed. I wonder what that will do to the environment along with the 2 new waste plants they've built. No I don't care about Africa or it's people at all, I'm too busy wondering about my own, but he was right it was all caused by Humans.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
In the case of our dogs I don't think so:-
a) greedy - NO they only eat what they need and frequently leave some of the food we give them in their bowls, they don't aspire to own things at all, and don't steal for personal gain.
b) selfish - NO our dogs only ever think of the pack not themselves when it comes to survival.
c) violent - ONLY when it comes to survival of their pack, never for the types of reasons that humans kill e.g. for personal gain.
d) intolerant - NO, unless some stupid human tries teasing them incessantly.

but we are "supposed" to be of superior intelligence and "different" from other species - operating on a higher plane with more sophisticated brains - more choice and control over what we do; therefore, as the dominant species, we hold the power and the influence and the real responsibility for what we do.
I agree with what you say but as you said, this is what we humans always say and what is taught in schools, but that was when there were relatively fewer humans on the planet, now the time has come when the populations of all less developed countries is growing out of control.

I also agree with your earlier comment that maybe, just maybe, things will not explode in 50 years but in my view there is only a short time left and the chances of :-

a) Stabilising or actually reducing the world human population is looking impossible
b) Educating the masses to a level where tolerence and co-operation between countries is possible is also looking impossible.

There are just too many people on the planet now and it can only get worse.
Bluebell
Berkshire, UK
Bluebell is female  Bluebell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 10:53 PM

I think humanity will only have a chance of long term survival if at some point we stop seeing some things as our right. At the moment many people see it as their right to consume or waste food at will if they can afford it, to have as many children as they please (whether they can afford it or not), to drive a car, to turn up the central heating. And we should remember that our ability in the developed world to afford these things is down to the luck of where we were born, and be grateful rather than complacent. Perhaps the role of government should be to determine which of these rights is unsustainable, and control our unsustainable "habits"? Unfortunately there is also a strong correlation between producing large families and both poverty and low IQ, so if we don't stop soon we will have a country overrun by people who don't have the intellectual capacity to see what needs to be done.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top