Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2013, 07:47 PM

Re: Women in frontline combat role

Depends on the woman I guess....Not me tho'....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

24-01-2013, 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=hazel;233700]
Originally Posted by Willow ->

I'm sorry Willow I had forgotten that and I shouldn't have , sincere apologies. I will refrain from having a go at you for being a miserable old bat if not a daft one. Still don't know what mr Bloody Green is though have even Googled it and that's no help.
Oh please don't feel sorry for me, because of my husband. There are loads of people much worse off than us. I come on far too strongly sometimes, and for that I apologise, see my signature. I thought 'Mr Green' was meant to be the laughing icon?
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2013, 07:54 PM

I really don't see what was wrong with things in "our day" where women were either house wives or did "women's jobs" and the men did the tougher jobs.

Of course you'll all probably want to beat me to a pulp for that but hey-ho, that's my view and my wife shares that view.

She wouldn't want to be a mechanic or go out to a war, she was happy to be a house wife when the kids were young whilst I worked hard and when the kids grew up she got a job as a Social Worker.

I just preferred it when men were men and women were women, simple as that.

OK, I'm going to hide now
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote - I just preferred it when men were men and women were women..
That makes two of us.....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

24-01-2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
I really don't see what was wrong with things in "our day" where women were either house wives or did "women's jobs" and the men did the tougher jobs.

Of course you'll all probably want to beat me to a pulp for that but hey-ho, that's my view and my wife shares that view.

She wouldn't want to be a mechanic or go out to a war, she was happy to be a house wife when the kids were young whilst I worked hard and when the kids grew up she got a job as a Social Worker.

I just preferred it when men were men and women were women, simple as that.

OK, I'm going to hide now
You'd better hide, or you might find your dangly bits tied tightly around your neck!
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

24-01-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Quote - I just preferred it when men were men and women were women..
That makes two of us.....
What exactly do you mean by that, out of interest?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2013, 08:42 PM

Have I missed something - aren't men still men and women still women? When did things change?

I am all for equality and equal opportunity and that would include the armed forces. I think I read somewhere that the training for fighting on the front line will not change and women and men will undertake the same training regime. So, if women are able to complete the training successfully I think they should be able to serve on the front line. After all didn't the Amazons have all women armies who were formidable fighters.
There is (usually) going to be the difference in size and body strength between men and women - and maybe that may ultimately be the problem for women successfully doing the training. Mentally I think a lot of women can be as tough as men and the selection process should sort that out anyway. Of course though, Alan is right - what about going for a wee? Everyone knows most women have to take down their trousers and squat to wee - the anatomy is different from men The modesty issue I suppose you could get over relatively quickly, but it does take longer for a women than a man and that could make a difference. I wouldn't fancy getting shot in the rear while doing the necessary and it could be a real risk.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21172033

Do you think woman should fight alongside men?

As women wish to have equality with men, it is only right they should take on a combat role too, imo.
In the Australian Defence Force they already do and have done for years. In my son's ship one of the helicopter pilots is a female as is at least a navigator and several deck officers. In the lower ranks probably one third are females.

Tomorrow the ship returns to Sydney from the Gulf after six months active service, they have just finished "de-ammunitioning" in Eden today.

But then Australian women had the vote long before any other women in the world (except perhaps NZ)
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 07:56 AM

I have no qualms with women and men being equal, doing the same things but I think that many women would like their man to be more the Neanderthal type, doing the heavy serious work and the women doing the domestic type of work?

How many of you ladies would like to go down sewers to clean them out?

How many of you ladies would like to work on the coal face of a mine(think about your nails)?

I know that my wife and I prefer the two different type of roles, ie, I do the heavy type of work and she does the homely type of work, mind you we are from the older generation and prefer our stereotype roles.

I prefer to treat a lady as a lady not a female type of the male species.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-01-2013, 09:56 AM

It was always my job to rod out the drain to the septic tank, a few times a year, in our last property everytime it got blocked. A very pleasant job, NOT, especially as the waste from the bungalow across the road emptied into the tank too. It is a treat to now have mains drains!

I did most of the heavy stuff at our previous home, even before my husband was disabled. He worked very hard indeed before he retired, and as hard afterwards. When he was at home he was usually doing something of an academic nature, his greatest love.

As for nails, what are those? I have always kept mine VERY short, I dislike nails which protrude over the top of the fingers.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top