Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Which Sense Loss

Which would you, if you had a choice,prefer to lose before all others?

Sight, a world without seeing Mother Nature would be to much to bear I think.

Hearing, I think I could live in a world any noise interference.

Touch, I could live without touch up to a point, you could get burnt lifting something hot.

Taste, a hard one because how would you know if the taste was good for you or not?

Smell, I do not think that the loss of smell, other than fire, would bother me that much.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 08:39 AM

Re: Which Sense Loss

I think that loss of sight would be the most disruptive to your life but neither would I like never to be able to listen to music again. It's a hard one.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Sight would be the hardest to lose. My hearing in my left ear isn't great I hope I never go completely deaf. Whenever I have a cold I lose smell and taste, which is miserable. As for touch, that would be hard to lose too.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Terrible choice to make isnt it?
Sight is the worse as my Brother would tell you. He is going blind and
now has to walk with a white stick. He took asprin for 12 years after
a Heart bypass. He now has a very unpronouncable disease at the
back of his eyes. Seemingly, it makes the lining wet or something.
They have now decided to do some investigation as to how and why
this happens only to some people who take asprin.
I would lose the smell I think. My son has already lost most of his
having had a broken nose when he was young. Some idiot threw a
snowball with ice in it and it hit my sons eye and top of his nose.
I too listen to music and everybody talking, it must be a lonely place
if you are deaf.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 10:21 AM

If I had to choose it would be smell. After a lifetime of being a heavy smoker (now ex thankfully) my sense of smell has never been good, so I don't think that I'd miss it if I lost the little of it that is left...
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 11:40 AM

All of our senses receive information of some type from the environment.

As we age,our senses such as taste, hearing, smell, touch, and vision change dramatically.

Our brain may have a decreased ability to process or translate meaningful information.

We may have problems with communication, enjoyment of activities, and social interactions

Vision and Hearing changes are the most dramatic

We are fortunate that many of these changes can be improved with modern equipment such as glasses and hearing aids.

I would say they are all important but to lose the ability to see would be the most devastating
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 11:45 AM

Smell and taste are linked, so if you lose your sense of smell your taste is also affected.
I think sight would be the worst, although I also would miss listening to music if I lost my hearing.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 12:05 PM

Would hate to lose smell - my Mum couldn't smell anything and couldn't enjoy her food because she couldn't taste it due to a perforated cheek bone, which had to be removed when she was 16. I had to be "sniffer" in our tenement flat in Govan in case of gas leaks, which happened from time to time because of the old town gas!

If I had to lose anything, hearing I suppose!

Good thread, Bob
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-01-2013, 01:36 PM

I suppose losing my hearing would be the sense I would miss the least, although it would be inconvenient. I don't enjoy music so not hearing it wouldn't bother me, in fact it would please me not having to hear it again.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 01:45 PM

You can't just lose smell without losing taste too can you?

For me I'd take just losing smell if that was possible without losing taste as well, as I could easily live without it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top