Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-01-2013, 03:58 PM

Home Schooling

Has anyone home schooled their children? I home schooled our Down's Syndrome son, now 27, as we weren't happy with the special education provision in our area. It worked out well for us, I was able to provide him with experiences he wouldn't have got at school.

Our middle daughter is going to start home schooling her eldest son (11) as from September when he is due to start secondary school. He has Asperger's Syndrome, and although extremely intelligent he would find coping in a large secondary school very hard indeed. The school has admitted they would find it hard to meet his needs and although his parents have explored all other options, none would suit him as well as home schooling. The LEA seems relieved as it gets them off a very expensive hook!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Re: Home Schooling

Yes I can see home schooling working for a lot of cases. I think at age 11 it should be the decision of the child as she/he may prefer to mix with children on a daily basis in school surroundings. Definitely - if a child is being bullied and home schooling is an option - a good solution...
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Yes I can see home schooling working for a lot of cases. I think at age 11 it should be the decision of the child as she/he may prefer to mix with children on a daily basis in school surroundings. Definitely - if a child is being bullied and home schooling is an option - a good solution...
Our grandson has been begging his mother to home school him for ages. He is a child who has one or two friends, but much prefers his own company and solitary pursuits, like very long cycle rides on his own. He can't cope with being where there are a lot of people, and opts out of activities most children would enjoy like social activities. His primary school has been very good and lets him take his schoolwork, which he loves, to the school library if he suddenly finds everything overwhelming, as he does several times a day.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 05:57 PM

Sounds like the perfect solution, its what your grandson wants...
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-01-2013, 06:18 PM

It is absolutely what he wants and he is busy planning his curriculum. I phoned him a few minutes ago, having not spoken to him since his parents broke the glad tidings to him a week or so back. I pointed out how fortunate he was that his Mum was prepared to put her life on hold for the next few years so he could achieve. She is having to give up a course which is rather dear to her heart as it would be impossible to do both.

His younger brother (8) is a sociable little guy, but doesn't like academic work much, said he would miss his mates if he was home schooled, so thinks he would rather not. Just as well because it wouldn't be considered where he is concerned. Children are far better in school unless they have special needs, which make mainstream schooling difficult for them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-01-2013, 06:22 PM

Absolutely agree with you... His younger brother has decided what he wants - perfect. Sounds like a great family with a perfect Mum at the helm.....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-01-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Absolutely agree with you... His younger brother has decided what he wants - perfect. Sounds like a great family with a perfect Mum at the helm.....
Those boys are very fortunate to have FANTASTIC parents.

Although I do laugh when I remember their Mum as a young teenager. She complained I ruined her life on a daily basis in those days. For instance she would come downstairs in the morning ready for school, but plastered in make up and sent straight back upstairs to remove it. At about the same age she wanted to go out to a local town one evening with some lads much older than her. I ruined her life again when permission was refused. "I would never be so mean to my children!", was the retort. I do wish I had taped that for posterity and played it back to her on the occasions she is 'mean' to her boys! For instance the other week they were both sent to bed early, and had their ipad banned for a week for bad behaviour.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-01-2013, 07:07 PM

I know - the times I have wished I had recorded things...
The main thing here is, that she learnt from 'her Mum' and appreciates I am sure, what seemed harsh love - at the time.......
I didn't have that care - so I appreciate what you are saying..
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2013, 07:55 PM

Hope everything goes well for your daughter and her son. She sounds like a very good mother, giving up her course, for her son.
Schools are better these days, with children that have special needs. But the children cannot cope with the amount of pupils in secondary schools.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-01-2013, 08:00 PM

I was a bit 'mean' when she was about 17. We allowed her to live in one of the houses we then owned , as it was in the city and nearer her school, of which her Dad was the head teacher. We lived out in the country, and she reckoned it was too far from her mates. However there were some rules by which she had to abide, one being no parties without our permission. I heard on the grapevine that she had planned a party, but she hadn't asked us first. I waited until it was in full swing then I turned up, walked in, sat on the sofa and engaged her friends in conversation. I asked them all the sort of questions I knew would make her cringe, like what subjects they were taking, what they wanted to do when they left school etc, really uncool stuff. I also threw in a few anecdotes about our girl when she was small. By this time she was an embarrassed heap in the corner! Having made my point I left. As far as I am aware the 'no parties without permission' rule wasn't broken again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top