Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Re: Do you allow people to smoke in your home?

[QUOTE=Mollie;234971]What is wrong with people at all. Alchohol is the most harmful substance after drugs in this country, smoking coming third.

Yes, it might well smell, but smells never hurt anyone. In my 63 years I've never had a chest infection or any smoke-related illness and I've smoked since I was 16.

I am sick and weary of this same topic keep cropping up on here and nobody taking the trouble to read what's been previously said.

Mesco has said something like she's had to wash her clothes before hanging them back up in the wardrobe after a night out! I can only read her posts as a guest, as she can only read mine by the same medium, but why would anybody hang up the clothes that they've worn after a night out? Every day, as soon as I've worn mine when I go to bed, they go into the laundry basket, and I'd do that if I smoked or not! Now to me, that's nasty! Are folk saying that they wouldn't bother washing their clothes if it were not for the fact that they smell of smoke?

However, having said all of that, if I visit somewhere where there are non-smokers, I ask politely first and, if dis-allowed, I'll go outside and I won't smoke in the car of a non-smoker.

I just don't understand why people don't get their facts straight. There is NO SUCH THING as passive smoking as there are no carcinogens in cigarette smoke and I will say, for the very last time, there are more carcinogens in exhaust fumes from a car, bus, etc.[/QUOTE]

Mollie darlin' - if carcogens are present in exhaust fumes, which is also smoke, then they most certainly are present in cigarette smoke too. Cigarettes have saltpetre in them to make them burn more easily. That, plus other chemicals in the tobacco ARE carcogenic!!!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 01:41 PM

I would not allow anyone to smoke in my house and there are no exceptions. My mother was a heavy smoker and I know the damage it can do. Many people who smoke have no idea of how foul they smell and aside from the health aspects it is a most objectional habit - it is no surprise that smoking is considered anti-social.

I don't know how anyone can say that passive smoking is not harmful and that the dangers don't exist. I think this sort of denial is like the ostrich burying its head in the sand.

See this link for the WHO facts on passive smoking and then tell me it doesn't exist.

http://www.who.int/features/factfile.../en/index.html

and another link

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2289.asp...categoryid=536
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 02:13 PM

I'm surprised smoking wasn't outlawed 50 years ago ! The way you are carrying on, like we are monsters ! Get a grip, I wont come anywhere near you - dont worry, as I am sure any smoker would not - if treated with a bit of 'respect'...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I'm surprised smoking wasn't outlawed 50 years ago ! The way you are carrying on, like we are monsters ! Get a grip, I wont come anywhere near you - dont worry, as I am sure any smoker would not - if treated with a bit of 'respect'...
Pats - respect works both ways - before smoking was banned from public places, smokers smoked themselves silly in public areas without any respect or regard for those who did not smoke - it was simply a case of having to put up with it or go elsewhere. The disgusting mess and smell smokers left behind lingered long after they had left the premises - I remember when places were absolutely yellow with the nicotine damage smokers caused to fabrics and walls. Nobody could get away from it when you went out for the evening.
When my mum died the whole house was yellow, walls, paintwork, ceilings, every bit of furniture and curtains. Even the light cords had gone yellow with the nicotine damage. Even months after she had died and after having the whole house professionally cleaned the smell was still there. Nobody will convince me that this was not a harmful situation to be living in.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 02:45 PM

There seem to be some very intolerant and opinionated people in this world who see only the faults of others and never see their own, in fact some of these people would deny they had any faults that were objectionable to others. Before I go any further I must say that I don't drink, I don't smoke and I am not overweight, but I have friends who drink, smoke and are overweight, but this does not mean I discard them as friends. Some of these drinking, smoking, overweight friends have been lifelines to me, they have been there for me many times and I appreciate each and every one of them. The smokers always go outside for a cigarette, they never have to be asked. The drinkers, if they don't live within walking distance, stay the night, I would hide their car keys if I thought it necessary. The overweight people who eat with us are not told what they can eat or how much, I would never ever be so rude as to do that.

I hope I never become so sanctimonious that I discard a friendship because I don't approve of someone's habit. Drinkers also smell and the surroundings where they have been drinking smell too. Overweight people quite often smell too, they often perspire more than people who are not overweight and this too can be very unpleasant, as I know only too well.

My friends are friends because of who they are and what good friends they have been, are, to me, not because of their habits that I don't approve of. No doubt I too have habits that they don't approve of. It's having respect for each other that is important.

Passive smoking may be harmful to others, I'm no expert so I can't claim to know one way or the other. Drinking can be very harmful indeed to others in many different ways, far more harmful than passive smoking I would think, you only have to look at the numbers of people killed or injured in drink related road accidents, or the numbers of children and adults killed or badly injured by a drunken family member. Obesity also carries risks, diabetis, heart problems, mobility problems are just a few.

Perhaps we could all learn to be a little more tolerant of other peoples habits if we stepped back and examined some of our own. I don't think the world has yet produced the perfect person, but then maybe I am wrong !

Here is an interesting article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_2196343.html
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

03-02-2013, 03:00 PM

There is no doubt that alcohol and obesity are costly to the country and damaging to an individual (and in the case of the alcoholic the family ramifications are destructive and in the case of the drunk driver killing someone devastating) but, generally, apart from smells, cost and other irritations being around an obese person or an alcoholic is not going to be detrimental to another individual's own personal health - only the person abusing themselves is most likely to suffer (along with the taxpayer). Smoking on the other hand and the effects of passive smoking are extremely damaging to both the addicted person and innocent individuals. I don't think it is simply a matter of intolerance and I don't know how many links or how much information it takes to get through; denial and addiction go hand in hand, but here is another and then I am done.

http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/passi...d-children.php
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 03:03 PM

Excellent post Loretta, I concur wholeheartedly...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 03:05 PM

It would have been wise for restaurants etc., who made vast amounts from the likes of us - to have installed air conditioning..this would have been worthwhile. If Mother Teresa was partial to a swift half and a ciggie, down the 'Old duck an' Dive' - would we have thought any less of her.....
NO.....
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2013, 03:46 PM

I am a smoker and smoke in my home (50-60 a day) as does my wife so as such if a smoker comes for a visit (as is a regular occurrence since all but one of our friends/family are smokers) I have no problem with them lighting up, UNLESS THERE ARE CHILDREN IN THE HOUSE.

Whenever we have our grandchildren over NOBODY is permitted to smoke in the house, full stop.

I have to say Willow, you are an opinionated woman aren't you?

Whilst you're venting your anger on smokers, there are people who are out drinking their body weight daily or people with anorexia who eat little and throw up what they do eat - now, tell me smoking trumps those two.

Yes, smoking isn't good for you but there are a lot of worse things out there.

My mother-in-law is 91 years old and has smoked two packs of Marlboro Reds every day since she was 16 years old. Apart from an arthritic hip she's as healthy as could be.

My wife is 60 years old and she's smoked a pack a day of Pall Mall lights since she was 16 and her mouth, throat and lungs are that of a non-smoker.

I also have two good friends who are smokers - one is 60 and smokes a pack of Embassy regulars daily as he has since 15 and is in great health, another being 63 years old and smokes two packs of Senior Service unfiltered cigarettes as he has done since he was 17; again, in good health.

On the flip side there is my son-in-law's father who died at the start of this year from lung cancer at the age of 57.

Furthermore there is myself, I'm still alive but my heart and lungs have seen far better days.

It seems more and more these days that people see smokers as the walking dead who are on borrowed time - well, for some that is true, but for everybody? Come on, get real.

Whenever you see somebody in their 70s or older smoking and in good health anti-smokers say "they are a very rare exception!" but are they really?

Bottom line is, I wouldn't advise anybody to start smoking but if you do, so be it.

Right, if you'll excuse me I need a cig after that.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

03-02-2013, 03:58 PM

Well it seems it is not 'enough' that smokers are now banned from public venues - non-smokers really want their pound of flesh...
Well - I for one - are not interested in 'links' - I agree on the original subject of this thread, but it has degraded to verbal abuse - so I'm outta here....

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top