Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Re: Ufo

There are people on another planet, ive seen them. They call themselves politicians, they seem very alien to me.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 10:45 AM

Those who think that Earth is the only planet with life in the universe is living on another planet! Consider how many sun-like stars there are in this galaxy, the proportion that have planets suitable for life and then consider the number of galaxies in the known universe.

It is extremely arrogant of us to thing that we are unique or special.

However, as others have pointed out, the vast distances involved make visiting any of these planets, an impossibility.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Those who think that Earth is the only planet with life in the universe is living on another planet! Consider how many sun-like stars there are in this galaxy, the proportion that have planets suitable for life and then consider the number of galaxies in the known universe.

However, as others have pointed out, the vast distances involved make visiting any of these planets, an impossibility.
George matey, equally the obverse of that is equally true, thus 'little green men from Mars' or indeed anywhere else in the galaxy is ludicrous in the extreme.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 01:35 PM

George - an impossibility - for now.....
U Joe.... How do you 'know' this as fact.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
George matey, equally the obverse of that is equally true, thus 'little green men from Mars' or indeed anywhere else in the galaxy is ludicrous in the extreme.
Isn't that the point? The appearance of life on this planet is quite ludicrous in the extreme but it happened. There are billions of galaxies each comprising of billions of stars so no matter how ludicrous the odds the probability is that there is another planet somewhere in the universe with a form of life on it.

As Douglas Adams once said, "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
George - an impossibility - for now.....
U Joe.... How do you 'know' this as fact.....
Pat darlin' - just look in your kitchen - how much food do you have 'stored there??? - how long would that food last you??? - a week perhaps. Now multiply the weight of that food by 26 (i.e. six months), now consider the quantity of water (or other liquids) you consume in a day and multiply that by (a minimum) of 186 days and you'll discover that the weight and dimensions are quite large - multiply that weight and dimensions by a factor of 3 an d that is an awfully large amount. Currently (and for the foreseeable future) there is no space vessel big enough or powerful enough to transport three astronauts (and their food and drink requirements) beyond Mars which as you know is our nearest planetary sister. When considering places beyond our own solar system one needs to talk in terms of years or light years. There is no practical way of transporting humans beyond the immediate vicinity of our own solar system.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 02:05 PM

U Joe - I did say for now....How could you know what will be invented in the future, they are experimenting with 'fusion' and something to do with 'warping' - sorry i'm not too good on the science - and the time machine theory... You just dont know Joe - sorry guy - you just dont Bigger guns than you Joe believe in the existence 100 per cent, because its their job to investigate - so I go with them on this....
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

09-02-2013, 10:04 AM

Pats you admit you are not good at science, so I would save your breath to cool your porridge!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2013, 10:15 AM

BIB: this is what I've heard scientists say regarding the possibility of life on other planets.

It's the same when the restrictions placed on our interstellar travel is placed on any other possible race. I heard someone say that aliens that have mastered time/space travel wouldn't bother with us in just the same way that we don't bother to visit ant nests and get to know the locals in there! We would be just too primitive.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Pats you admit you are not good at science, so I would save your breath to cool your porridge!
...I cant paint - but I still appreciate those that do and admire certain work - you dont have to be an 'expert' on any subject to appreciate or have an opinion on it

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top