Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Arranging your funeral

After reading the 'after you have gone' post, I wondered if anyone else has arranged what happens at their funeral.. What songs/hymns etc you want played. Do you want an oak or willow casket. I have all this arranged even down to the gist of the eulogy I want read out!!!!! I have also left my kids detailed instructions of what to do. Who to contact, who to invite (all complete with their addresses), details of bank accounts, what direct debits etc to cancel, where to go for probate etc. etc.
After my husband died and I realised all the things you have to do
I decided to help them out. I may not be there in spirit but I know I would have enjoyed my funeral.!
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Re: Arranging your funeral

I lost my 20 year old son ... had to do what I thought he'd like for his funeral. Music? Burial? Cremation? Service?
My old Mum wouldn't talk about what she wanted ... apart from being buried in the Catholic cemetary next to my Dad.
We should talk more about what we would like to happen in that sad event?
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2011, 11:42 PM

Its important to do this. My dad had been ill for well over 25 years, and last year he passed away it wasnt until mum looked into the paperwork and the file for the wills did she find that dad had chosen what hymns and music he wanted and a reading, he had put a sealed envelope into that file marked 'only when needed'

This made things so much easier for mum at such a hard and emotional time and she also knew it was his wishes.

I know full well what music mum wants she is a big Chris Rea fan and wants ' road to hell '.. I have been told
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2011, 01:26 AM

Those of us with no living family or significant other who have outlived too many friends don't have this problem. But I do agree if you are leaving loved ones it would be a great help emotionally to know the wishes.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2011, 07:27 AM

Nothing sorted out yet.

This was a subject that we were discussing whilst travelling to the SIL's and where we wanted to be buried. Cumbria where we have lived for over 40years of our lives or back in Lamcashire where our roots are.

The outcome was Lancashire so now it is time to sort out the rest of it.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2011, 08:37 AM

Nothing sorted only the fact I wanted my ashes scattered at Murlough Beach where the Mountains of Mourne are in the background of this beautiful place, plus I want it a happy occasion and a drink for everyone...since I will not be there, I want everyone to celebrate and not be sad...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2011, 09:43 AM

We have made our wishes clear in a letter to our children, including our wishes in case we are incapacitated mentally or physically for a while prior to death. We have left them plenty of leeway though, with the only real proviso being that they make damned sure that we are dead before they bury us...
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2011, 04:38 PM

I have some informal agreements and maybe this may sound a little odd.

It will be a civil service. I have more than enough money to pay for whatever, but there is to be no hymns or any religious sermons or members of any clergy present.

As for ashes...whatever people want to do with them, even if that means throwing them away. I really don't care.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 09:57 AM

Yeah Graham matey, me too. As I'm a confirmed Atheist I want no religious ceremonial whatsoever. Have worked out and told friends what music I want played as my coffin trundles off behind the curtain to the fiery furnace. My ashes can be dumped 'at sea' whilst some-one goes on a 'booze cruise'.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 10:11 AM

I am defiantly going for the woodland burial option and no service .

There are two woodland areas available around here with views of the Malvern hills where I can feed the trees and provide a little beauty for coming generations.

I gather woodland burials are quite inexpensive compared to burial and cremation both of which are costly these days.I would rather the money was spent on a tree .

http://www.greenfieldswoodlandburial...conditions.htm

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top