Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Re: Arranging your funeral

my mum never left a will,as the oldest son it was up to me to do what i wanted with her estate,an i shared out to whom she would have wanted to have left something to.

i have no faith in wills,,,my mate has been waiting 18 years for his mums to be settled,,he was left every thing,but his brother an sister contested it,,,3 propertys are involved,and out of the cash side of the will the house insurances have to be paid,,solicators fees,,maintanance etc,
he wont have much left if it ever gets settled,,,and i know someone else in the same position.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
my mum never left a will,as the oldest son it was up to me to do what i wanted with her estate,an i shared out to whom she would have wanted to have left something to.

i have no faith in wills,,,my mate has been waiting 18 years for his mums to be settled,,he was left every thing,but his brother an sister contested it,,,3 propertys are involved,and out of the cash side of the will the house insurances have to be paid,,solicators fees,,maintanance etc,
he wont have much left if it ever gets settled,,,and i know someone else in the same position.
Sounds like a modern day version of Bleak House ......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Sounds like a modern day version of Bleak House ......
It does doesn't it Eileen one thing for sure, solicitors do very well out of death the will business ..
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2011, 07:09 PM

So true. I recently redid my very simple will, just a beneficiary change, and was slightly appalled at the fee ......
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2011, 06:27 AM

I have been broaching this subject with my husband who hoards things his wardrobes are bulging and i have told him should he be the last one standing then he is leaving behind a lot of junk..I keep my own wardrobes clean and old clothes removed so should i go first then i am not leaving a lot of things to be sorted out.I just want a very plain simple funeral with some wildflowers on my coffin .I do not want any fuss and if i am the last one standing then i shall leave everything to my granddaughter who i love dearly and a donation to the golden retriever rescue .I often joke if my husband goes first i will need a skip to get rid of his clutter..
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 12:57 AM

I went and paid for my funeral a couple of weeks go.Well mine or hubs...who ever goes first but I believe it will be me.I don't want anything fancy as no point.I want the song My Way played as that song is very close to my heart and one that holds alot of memories for me.Its a small cemetery in my village over looked by sheep in the next field.....how can anything so sad be so beautiful.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 01:10 AM

Uncle Joe is right. If you die Intestate (without making a Will) then any property or land goes into Probate, which can take years to sort out if people contest. You have to specify to whom you wish your property goes and make it very clear, as next of kin is not necessarily who you want your assets to go to. Next of kin does not automatically have any rights, not even a spouse, if the property is in your name alone. If it is in joint names, then the spouse or other named party automatically can claim.

You don't necessarily have to make out a formal Will, but you can put your requirements down in writing in letter form and have somebody witness your signature to it. That letter should then remain with your Executor/Executrix (witness) to be produced at the time of your death, with a copy kept by yourself in a safe place (your solicitor or bank).

You don't want your family member squabbling, so make your wishes very clear.
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 01:21 AM

Made my Will year's ago.....Animal Charity's get the lot.No good people suddenly coming forward when im dead and gone and wern't there for me when I was alive.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 01:46 AM

Bonny, your hubby also needs to make out a Will if he hasn't already done so. This is none of my business and of course you don't have to justify yourself or reply but, if you have children, they should be taken into account.

I truly believed that I would go before Gordon, but I didn't. I'm in a precarious position and I'm going to have to change my Will soon, I think.

Three years ago my brother promised to pay off my mortgage for me, and he paid the first 12 months, then reneged on the deal. It wasn't his fault but, when he agreed to do that, I made out my Will to leave my property to him and this is where it gets complicated for me now.

Because I struggled to pay the last two years of my mortgage myself, I don't feel any obligation to leave my house and land to him. My "land" is freehold on which my house and gardens stand and is certainly not worth a fortune, but it's probably worth around £95,000 at today's prices, but I'm not sure about that.

BUT! Despite my living with my partner Gordon for 20 years, who died 3½ years ago, I am still legally married to Frank. Now, if Gordon had not pre-deceased me, then it would have been only right and fair that he would have claimed a right on the property as he paid half the mortgage for 20 years, whereas Frank only paid five years mortgage.

I is such a complicated little soul, isn't I?
Bonny
UK

26-01-2012, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Bonny, your hubby also needs to make out a Will if he hasn't already done so. This is none of my business and of course you don't have to justify yourself or reply but, if you have children, they should be taken into account.

I truly believed that I would go before Gordon, but I didn't. I'm in a precarious position and I'm going to have to change my Will soon, I think.

Three years ago my brother promised to pay off my mortgage for me, and he paid the first 12 months, then reneged on the deal. It wasn't his fault but, when he agreed to do that, I made out my Will to leave my property to him and this is where it gets complicated for me now.

Because I struggled to pay the last two years of my mortgage myself, I don't feel any obligation to leave my house and land to him. My "land" is freehold on which my house and gardens stand and is certainly not worth a fortune, but it's probably worth around £95,000 at today's prices, but I'm not sure about that.

BUT! Despite my living with my partner Gordon for 20 years, who died 3½ years ago, I am still legally married to Frank. Now, if Gordon had not pre-deceased me, then it would have been only right and fair that he would have claimed a right on the property as he paid half the mortgage for 20 years, whereas Frank only paid five years mortgage.

I is such a complicated little soul, isn't I?
LOL...no your a lovely wee soul babe

Molly both Hubs and I did Wills and we have no children together.One obviously has left the other everything and then when the remaining one goes a Huge Animal Charity get's a huge chunk and smaller one's also benefiting....not forgetting a Cancer Charity.Funny to think im sort of worth alot more dead than I am alive....gawd Im a happy soul fgs.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top