Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Re: Microwave ovens

As others have already said, I'd suspect a loose wire.

Two weeks ago, the fridge freezer blew not only the plug fuse but also tripped the main switch.

It's been there 15 years, never been moved and never unplugged.

When I undid the plug the Brown wire had a loose strand sticking out that had touched the Blue wire - how I do not know because this was "tinned" with solder yet there was no sign of any solder left.

It's a mystery but not the first time I've come across this as at work we get it all the time but then, plugs are often taken out and put back in again but even those that are NOT moved at all do the same. stevmk2
sawdust
New Member!
Hampshire, uk.
sawdust is male 

08-10-2016, 08:05 PM

Some electrical appliances have a cut out switch built in side and if tripped you have to leave for a little while for it to re-set.
As it is a micro wave if it happens again I would get some one to test it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
Thanks - I'd heard that which seemed daft! These low microwave frequencies are used for the ubiquitous short range microwave that is so widespread nowadays such as WiFi, BlueTooth and later mobile phones.
Not so daft really, microwave ovens are a Faraday cage so little or none of the radiation escapes, any of the small amount that does is subject to the inverse square law.

However the new 5G wifi standard is miles away from 2.5Ghz (well twice the frequency) and, as far as I can see in my local area, is unused so I use it for my phone and tablet. Most interference with wifi is not from devices like cordless phones or microwaves but from your next door neighbour using the same or adjacent channel.

There are a heap of apps for your phone which show this. Look at the cluster using (a default) channel 1

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161009-101838.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	2034  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 12:16 AM

Thanks again for all the suggestions folks, very grateful for the input.
It seems to be behaving perfectly again at the moment. If it happens again I'll get things checked out.

Checked the door Swimmy, and the latch seems fine - but thanks.
Madison
UK
Madison is female  Madison has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

Microwaves will not work unless the door is properly closed, it is often a door catch issue.
Hi Mups, I had the same problem with my microwave oven. Mine is just a simple, basic one with manual controls - none of these digital timers etc.

I think swimfeeders made a good point about the door being properly closed as it has happened to me a few times now and whilst there doesn't seem to be a problem with the catch on mine, I just push hard on the door if it won't start and it starts going.

I got the idea of pushing on the microwave oven door as I sometimes have to do the same with my washing machine to get it going!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Madison ->
Hi Mups, I had the same problem with my microwave oven. Mine is just a simple, basic one with manual controls - none of these digital timers etc.

I think swimfeeders made a good point about the door being properly closed as it has happened to me a few times now and whilst there doesn't seem to be a problem with the catch on mine, I just push hard on the door if it won't start and it starts going.

I got the idea of pushing on the microwave oven door as I sometimes have to do the same with my washing machine to get it going!

Thanks Madison.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top