Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 07:36 PM

Are Battle-Axes Still Alive And Kicking?

Comedians such as Les Dawson always described mother-in-laws as battle-axes or dragons!
These days, you rarely hear women being described as a battle-axe!
Was your mother-in-law a battle axe? Do you know any battle-axes?

My mother-in-law was kind but she could be a battle-axe at times!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Re: Are Battle-Axes Still Alive And Kicking?

Not saying anything about "er indoors" or I might get bashed with a saucepan
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:00 PM

A battle-axe to me conjures up a picture of a rather large, big busted woman, hair in curlers, loud voice, and waving a rolling pin about.

I have had two Mother-in-Laws in my lifetime, neither of whom I got on famously with, but they were nothing like my mental vision above.

They both were possessive over their sons though, both thought I wasn't good enough for their 'boys'.
The second one even asked me once "Are you going to look after him like we always have?"

My husband-to-be was a man in his 40's at the time and still lived with his parents.
He would go out and get legless in the evenings and his Mum used to leave sweeties and nibbles on his bedside table for when he came home from the pub, just "in case he felt peckish".

Father-in-law at the farm asked me once if my dogs paid their way.
I didn't know what he meant for a minute and said so.
He repeated it. "Do your dogs pay their way?"

I was stunned, and said "I doubt it, I have never thought about it even, and I don't have them to make money out of them anyway."

To which he replied - "they'll have to go then!!"

That was the wrong thing to say to me. I was furious.
I was doing two jobs at the time PLUS helping on the farm, PLUS learning how to do the farm bookeeping.
I never took a penny out of the farm for my dogs, or any of my other animals. How dare he tell me to get rid of them!!

If they had to go - I would be gone with them!

The first MIL had emigrated to Oz some years before, so I never met her until our wedding.
She told me her son was supposed to have gone to Oz to join them. He married me instead. I got the blame for that, and was never forgiven.

So Art, I have never had a loving mother-in-law, and in the unlikely I ever got married again, he would have to be an orphan!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:09 PM

I'm one!
My son-in-law calls me Ma'am!
(he loves me really
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:14 PM

Mups, That was real bad luck getting two of them!!

When l hear the word 'battle-axe', l immediately, think of Ada Larkin, played by Peggy Mount in The Larkins!
She was a typical, battle-axe!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:15 PM

Two prime examples haunt the LTP thread.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Two prime examples haunt the LTP thread.

Oh do be quiet Judsy. Who rattled your cage anyway!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:23 PM

Fortunately, my late MIL was an absolute sweetheart. She could be a tartar to those she disliked but I got her on my side from the start when she and I were sitting chatting in her kitchen by ourselves one evening and I suddenly stood up, went over to her, gave her a hug and said "Thank you for giving birth to such a lovely son". LOL.
(I wasn't known as a brown-nose for nothing in those days.)
(Sorry MIL if you are watching!).
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh do be quiet Judsy. Who rattled your cage anyway!
Hoist by your own petard - how do you know you were one of the two?
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:39 PM

Oh boy, I had the MIL from hell, and a FIL and Husband that would not stand up to her, long story short, she tried to change my Wedding cake with the Bakers, I didn't want Doves etc on it, so the poor Bakers had to change it back to my design. Thought that she ought to come with us to choose the furniture for our home, no way was I'm allowing that. Christmas and Easter was always going to be at their home, oh no, I had family too.

Anyway as you can imagine , both my MIL and Husband are now well in my past by some 33 yrs, and no I have never re-married.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top