Join for free
Page 201 of 1676 « First < 101 151 191 199 200 201 202 203 211 251 301 701 1201 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 11:47 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Heard a fella say in an old film on the TV that he was ‘at the end of his tether’ How does one know when one is at the end of ones tether? what is a tether? how long is a piece of tether? Is it sold by the yard or by the metre? will it be dearer when you pull out of the EC? can you drink it, smoke it, eat it or what? What a baffling word.
We all heard about the Sultan and his jester when the harem burned down, the french ambassador called on urgent business and he found the Sultan at his wits end.

Don’t mind me, I’m a bit giddy today. but certainly not at the end of me tether.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 12:05 AM

oh dear Jem I fear those sparkling gems are making ya eyes water; ya brain zingle and ya tether come to its godamn end not to mention your dimming wit!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 07:54 PM

Hither and tether, thems all words of bygone times Gumbud, lovely words that are gradually disappearing, our grandchildren’s children will never hear them, it’s just a way of mourning them, a sort of wake for a word, and bidding them a fond farewell as they slowly sink into oblivion, they deserve a dignified sendoff for all their years of service to the language.
My paternal grandmother practically raised my older brother and me, she had been in service in the mansion of a wealthy big nob in Liverpool in the early 1900’s before she married, she new everything about table placings and what spoon of fork to use with what dish, all that sort of stuff. If the brother or me put our elbows on the table we’d get a whack across the hand with the heavy end of a knife or fork, she taught us good manners that’s for sure. She could speak very elegantly when she wanted to, all depended on who she was trying to impress, usually the rent man when she hadn’t got it for him. Many of the words she used are no longer used, “Come hither” she’d say when she wanted you. “He’s my coz” meaning he was her cousin. and many more words lost words, she used to say "behold" when she wanted you to look at something she made, usually a fine cake, she was a first rate cook, her kindness and sense of humour were legendary in the family and with all who knew her, a good woman God rest her soul.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 01:03 AM

yes Jem I come out with common phrases to me from my early Liverpool days and my grandchildren have a puzzled look and turn to their father and ask what does that mean? it could be a simple phrase like 'he's a chip off he old block" and they haven't a clue
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 10:25 PM

My grandad (paternal) was born in Liverpool from Irish immigrants. my great grandad was a cotton porter & his mother ran a coal carting business. Her father was named Moses, He was a commanding tenor in a choir in red , see.

I didn't plan to write that, but thought Spitty might appreciate the play on words. Oh heck RJ , Spitty is on a much higher level of wit than you are
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2017, 07:05 AM

It is not good, having an exaggerated Sense of Humus, but, you have to see the funny side of Decaying Matter, not that Water Retention is a Laughing Matter.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Since moving down to a flat our electric bill has been shocking, watt is happening in our new ohm?
I am solenoid>
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2017, 11:59 AM

I would have thought an astute guy like you, would have consulted a Potentiometer, to asses what your Potential usage might be, or, was there Resistance to this, and, if so, is this policy still Current, sometimes policies can be Transformed, Alternately, if your wishes and policies are Poles apart, be Direct, if not, you could end up in a Solid-State.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

27-03-2017, 09:52 PM

they're on a roll again - and it's quite shocking even electrifying and could blow a fuse. ground control to major ohm?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

27-03-2017, 09:57 PM

Ah, the old multiple quandary raises it’s ugly head again.
Best thing to do there Spitty is to single out the multiples, forget about the letter E. sort things out one by one just like Wink Martindale did with his deck of cards, if you remember the song, he was a soldier and he was caught with a pack of cards in church and then went on to explain to his commanding officer. Don’t mind the religious references if you are an atheist, just fill in your own. For example, when you look at the ace it could remind you of a spanner, or even a gearbox.

“You see Sir, when I look at the Ace it reminds me that there is but one God,
and the deuce, reminds me that the bible is divided
into two parts, the old and the new testament.
When I see the trey, I think of the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost.
And when I see the four,I think of the four Evangelists who preached
the Gospel There was Matthew, Mark, Luke and John…”

And on it went. It always works out, you see I was that soldier.

Oh don’t forget to say “Your Majesty” when you get to the Queen.

Page 201 of 1676 « First < 101 151 191 199 200 201 202 203 211 251 301 701 1201 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top