Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
itsabeautifulday
New Member!
staffordshire
itsabeautifulday is male 

25-03-2017, 05:07 PM

high blood pressure

Hi all , I am 52 and always resisted the blood pressure medications that the doctors have tried to get me on from the age of 40. I have decided now I should start as its really quite high so wondered if anyone got any experience with certain medications. I tried the Ramipril but seemed to make me feel nausea/light headed and just didn't feel right but not sure if its in my head as I read up on possible side effects. Anyway stopped taking them after week and now been given Candesartan Cilexetil 8mg and just popped my first pill today. Again I have read the side effects which I don't know if its good thing or not. Doc says go get some bloods after 2 weeks to make sure they are ok on the kidneys/liver function. I hate taking pills and always try the natural ways first but I suppose now 52 bit scared constant high blood pressure could lead to something nasty. Really love to hear peoples feedback on what they take or deal with high blood pressure. This is my first post and I do hope the rest will be a little more cheerful. Have great weekend all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 05:23 PM

Re: high blood pressure

I've been on ramipril for years never had a problem with it, bit of a wonder drug my GP says. Tbh my anti shake medications make me feel so bad anything else I can put up with.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Hello and welcome
Get on the medication or else you risk having a heart attack and may not make the next 20 years
i am sure your Dr will give you other advice such as eating a low salt diet and if you are overweight he /she will advise you to lose weight .
Good luck !
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 05:38 PM

As I am diabetic my doctor insisted I take something for my blood pressure!
I have been taking Lisinopril for years now and have had no side effects at all.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 05:56 PM

Same here, been taking BP meds for years. Bendroflumethiazide and Perindopril with no side effects.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 06:13 PM

My husband has been taking Losartan and Bisoprolol for high blood pressure for 4 years, he had the nauseous and light headed reaction for the first couple of months until his body was used to the tablets. Now he has no reaction .... I think it wise to persevere with the tablets for peace of mind.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 06:18 PM

Ramipril was the first BP tablet i went on , it didnt agree with me , so went back I found i was quite sensitive to a lot of the BP tablet ,having differant effects from Angina to Hallucinations .
Most recently after years of being on Two BP tablets I became ill last November and found through blood test one had raised my Pottasium to a dangerous level .
I was quickly told to come off it , my Potassium dropped back down after my next bloods were taken .
So if at any time you feel unwell go back and see your Dr.always have your bloods taken when they tell you to.
Even with taking BP tablets ive still been admitted twice ,210/145.
I have my own BP reader which can be bought at any chemist, so you might think of getting one , .
If you dont want a stroke or heart attack then my advice is take your meds but persist in getting the one that suits you, it took a long while but i finally got one that suits me
im on Nebivolol , the one that sent my pottasium up was Valsartan...
itsabeautifulday
New Member!
staffordshire
itsabeautifulday is male 

25-03-2017, 07:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies , really nice. I am a great believer in questioning everything and I do wonder if doctors push certain meds as they get kick backs. Ramipril seems to be most common prescribed but research shows that its one of cheapest so maybe that is why. High blood pressure is a worry as I know you risk stroke or heart attack but its important get right medication as pointless feeling like crap all the time. Would love to hear from anyone who is talking same meds as myself as again I don't know if its psychological but after taking one tablet today I have felt light headed and bit sicky feeling. Anyway enjoy your Saturday nights folks.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by itsabeautifulday ->
Hi all , I am 52 and always resisted the blood pressure medications that the doctors have tried to get me on from the age of 40. I have decided now I should start as its really quite high so wondered if anyone got any experience with certain medications.
Personally, reaching for medications would NOT be my first port of call. The medical industry is now just a Big Business selling potions and pills that, imo, would set you on the path to endless medication.

Why wouldn't you reach for Nature's solutions in the first instance?

There are plenty of things you can put into your diet to naturally lower blood pressure. These include:

Drinking Coconut Water - it's readily available in cartons

High quality fish oil - lots of good Omega vitamins etc

Garlic - Used for 1000s years the humble garlic clove is hugely beneficial to health. It contains over 30 active compounds and helps lower blood pressure.

Water melon - eat every morning

Hawthorn - can be bought from herb outlets like Neils Yard Remedies. Use in teas.

Cardamom powder - Again use in teas, often mixed with ginger and cinnamon, which improve circulation

and so on

lots of easy things to go at before reaching for the Big Pharma pills and potions.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Personally, reaching for medications would NOT be my first port of call. The medical industry is now just a Big Business selling potions and pills that, imo, would set you on the path to endless medication.

Why wouldn't you reach for Nature's solutions in the first instance?

There are plenty of things you can put into your diet to naturally lower blood pressure. These include:

Drinking Coconut Water - it's readily available in cartons

High quality fish oil - lots of good Omega vitamins etc

Garlic - Used for 1000s years the humble garlic clove is hugely beneficial to health. It contains over 30 active compounds and helps lower blood pressure.

Water melon - eat every morning

Hawthorn - can be bought from herb outlets like Neils Yard Remedies. Use in teas.

Cardamom powder - Again use in teas, often mixed with ginger and cinnamon, which improve circulation

and so on

lots of easy things to go at before reaching for the Big Pharma pills and potions.
I think your insistance on people ignoring the medical advice thay've received is dangerous and, tbh, arrogant....why would somebody ignore their doctor on your say so?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top