Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 08:47 AM

Re: Sugar Sugar and YET MORE SUGAR!

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Of course we all know that sugar is bad for us, that it's 'pure white and deadly', empty calories, leads to obesity and diabetes etc etc blah blah blah.

BUT despite that, how many people actually realise how ugly and corrupt our food industry really is?
Many perfectly intelligent and well informed people don't actually know to what extent they're consuming hidden sugars every day.

The raw statistics that emerge from this programme are mind blowing, that's what I'm saying.
Previous generations weren't hoodwinked by corrupt marketing and advertising.
Look at those sky high Coke boards in Mexico!

Horrific details on a scale that most ordinary people are unaware...36spoonfuls of sugar in a small jar of stir fry sauce,, and 7,000 lower limb amputations a year just in the UK alone...that mountain of plastic legs is an image that stays with you.

You say you can't stand Jamie, fair enough, but it's not about that, he has heart and he has passion!

I can't stand Jeremy Clarkson, but if he'd presented this programme I'd have signed that petition like a shot!
Ruth you are quoting me in your post, would you like to point out where I said I hate Jamie Oliver. I don't, I think he is ok.

My son is 37 years old, when he was a child I was aware a glass of coka cola contained 8 teaspoons of sugar
that is how long people have been aware of hidden sugar. He never had coke unless it was in someone else's house.
Drinks were milk or water with a slice of orange or lemon which was eaten at the end of the drink.

Even that far back I did not feed processed food, he ate mostly what we ate without salt and sugar but in a mashed up form.

I think JO is fighting a lost cause, those parents who have a modicum of common sense will look what they are putting into their children the rest will carry on feeding them crap with or without 'government action'.

You only had to see the stupidity of some parents when JO was involved in school meals project and some parents went into riot mode when chips were removed from the menu.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 09:09 AM

I have never liked Jamie Oliver and this is the first time I've watched him for ages, mainly because of the subject. He seems to have mellowed, and dropped that irritating Jack-The-Lad style

Credit where it's due though, given the restrictions of a one hour prime time TV programme, I thought he made a reasonable stab at describing the problem, though reducing the dominance of sugar will be hard work, due both to pressure from the industry and the fact that many people are simply unwilling to make the change

There was one snippet at the end which I found interesting. He was discussing a self - imposed sugar tax with several senior bosses; the one from Costa definitely came across as less than enthusiasic
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:36 AM

We had a BIG discussion on sorting out the British diet and I stated that a 'sugar tax' would be implemented at some stage but did anyone believe me then? It will come for sure and sooner than I had forecast too I reckon.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
We had a BIG discussion on sorting out the British diet and I stated that a 'sugar tax' would be implemented at some stage but did anyone believe me then? It will come for sure and sooner than I had forecast too I reckon.
The trouble with sugar tax is I cannot see it working when we ate sugar it was mostly in the form of reduced out of date foods even with a tax on it they will still be able to reduce bakery items at end of day etc or the waste will be incredible.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:41 AM

My children laugh about how I mistreated them..Ice lollies were frozen water, sometimes with a smigden of fruit juice for a bit of flavour. Cake was a white finger roll and cake with jam was for special days only!

However my ADHD son was never pumped fulled of medication because by eliminating many processed foods his mood swings were kept to a minimum and my other lactose intolerent son never felt he missed out..
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:42 AM

Trouble is, even with all the warnings on Sugar, for anyone that has to avoid sugar there really isn't a good or safe alternative
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Trouble is, even with all the warnings on Sugar, for anyone that has to avoid sugar there really isn't a good or safe alternative

True,, I use sugar rather than the alternatives which I know block the uptake of my meds..
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The trouble with sugar tax is I cannot see it working when we ate sugar it was mostly in the form of reduced out of date foods even with a tax on it they will still be able to reduce bakery items at end of day etc or the waste will be incredible.
It is inevitable. Why fight it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:52 AM

I'm not fighting it Mark just commenting it won't work
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not fighting it Mark just commenting it won't work
Wanna bet.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top