Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 11:07 PM

Re: Should education be free?

@JBR
We were promised places at schools that had good reputations, only to be told these places were now not available. This was one week before the summer break.

I was invited to appeal the decision with the Education Committee but this was a farce, the decision had already been made and they were just going through the motions.

When I took my daughter to see the school it was at 0900hrs, I never got through the front doors, one look at the parents had me reaching for my car keys.

School teachers are on to a loser from day one.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
All education should be good education. Unfortunately we have gone down some dead end educational roads in the UK. The destruction of the grammar school system was the first mistake. I came from a standard working class family - dad was a factory worker his whole life - but my two sisters and I all passed the 11+ and went to grammar schools where we got a much better education than our friends who were left behind in the secondary modern system. Unfortunately, when they got rid of the grammar schools, instead of bringing all the new comprehensives up to the level of the grammar schools, successive governments allowed standards to slip to such an extent that the vast majority of schools are now at secondary modern level or worse.
Yes, I forgot to add the matter of grammar schools. I went to one as well, so some might accuse me of being biased.

I have no problem with encouraging pupils to progress to the appropriate type of secondary education. It is perfectly natural that some children are more suited to an academic education, whilst others are better at more practical skills.

It was, indeed, a big mistake for the government of the time (Labour again) to strive to make everybody equal, and in so doing drag the more able down to the level of the least able.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 12:30 AM

MY kids went to a mixture of 'private' and public education. They all went to a private primary school and two of them then went to a state high school while the third chose to go to a private high school. I can't say that either was better or worse than the other. though I think the private schools provided greater motivation.

In some ways I wish I had carried out my threat to take my middle son out of State High School where he was wasting his time and send him to a private Catholic High School with very high academic standards and discipline.

It all turned out OK in the end except that is spelling is atrocious and I don't think he has ever read anything that he did not write but he only has a School Certificate because he left school before his Higher School Certificate.

I should point out that because every parent is a tax payer pupils in 'private' schools are subsidised by the state in the same way as those attending state schools. This keeps the fees down to a few thousand dollars per year. Even state schools have fees but whether you pay them or not is up to you eg $40 a term/year for woodwork.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=Bruce;824828]

I should point out that because every parent is a tax payer pupils in 'private' schools are subsidised by the state in the same way as those attending state schools. This keeps the fees down to a few thousand dollars per year. Even state schools have fees but whether you pay them or not is up to you eg $40 a term/year for woodwork.[/h

I wish it were the same here.
I was paying a hell of a lot more than that, no rebate for taking the kids out of the system.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
We were promised places at schools that had good reputations, only to be told these places were now not available.
I have three small grandchildren and assumed they would go to the village school which my son attended (his house is half a mile nearer to it than mine).
We were shocked to find the parish boundary goes through the field at the back of my son's house making his children ineligible for the village school with a good Ofsted report and condemning them to a school with a poor Ofsted report.
There is very little choice these days , you go where you are sent.

The children now go to an excellent private school which includes a Forest school one day a week where the little ones get to play in the woods and streams building huts and eating around a camp fire.

It is very expensive educating three children privately but I think it is worth every penny .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

06-02-2016, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have three small grandchildren and assumed they would go to the village school which my son attended (his house is half a mile nearer to it than mine).
We were shocked to find the parish boundary goes through the field at the back of my son's house making his children ineligible for the village school with a good Ofsted report and condemning them to a school with a poor Ofsted report.
There is very little choice these days , you go where you are sent.

The children now go to an excellent private school which includes a Forest school one day a week where the little get to play in the woods and streams building huts and eating around a camp fire.

It is very expensive educating three children privately but I think it is worth every penny .
It is, but just wait until they get to high/secondary school, the fees quadruple. Still worth it but crippling, I had to lay a hell of a lot more bricks to manage, that's for sure.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 01:08 AM

It is, but just wait until they get to high/secondary school, the fees quadruple. Still worth it but crippling, I had to lay a hell of a lot more bricks to manage, that's for sure.
I know how much it costs to go to 'big school' Terry, it is staggering There is a concession for three siblings and also for attending an approved prep school. Fingers crossed one of them gets an exhibition or scholarship
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

06-02-2016, 01:12 AM

I know how much it costs to go to 'big school' Terry, it is staggering There is a concession for three siblings and also for attending an approved prep school. Fingers crossed one of them gets an exhibition or scholarship
It doesn't stop there, Meg.
The school trips, some abroad.
The blooming posh parties and presents.
Uniforms from selected suppliers(2xthe price)
God, I'm breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it.
A posh van to take the kids to school, ok that was my excuse to get a new one
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

06-02-2016, 01:16 AM

It doesn't stop there, Meg.
The school trips, some abroad.
The blooming posh parties and presents.
Uniforms from selected suppliers(2xthe price)
God, I'm breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it.
I know Terry my two stepsons went to boarding school (it is usual with service children and they get a concession on fees ) I also spent the last 15 years of my working life as a 'Matron' in a boarding school

My own son went to state school but it was a good one and he did very well .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

06-02-2016, 01:28 AM

I know Terry my two stepsons went to boarding school (it is usual with service children and they get a concession on fees ) I also spent the last 15 years of my working life as a 'Matron' in a boarding school

My own son went to state school but it was a good one and he did very well .
My apologies, seems I may have been ignorant of your experiences.

It hurt, I know that.
Luckily I was able to expand my income/work to scrape by.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top